Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and brake rotor removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and brake rotor removal

Hey guys,

I need some help here. I've got the three amigos and I have a lot of brake dust on the front passenger rim. I've also got brake squeal.
So I thought it be a good chance that the sensors needed cleaning. As with everything I've tackled so far it's never straight forward :-)
Anyhow I got the wheel off and the pads look good except for all the brake dust. I'm just about to take the rotor off and I notice the screw that holds the rotor to
the hub is completely mangled. It looks like the last 'mechanic' used a drift or something to get it out as there are three gouges around the head of the screw.
Why he put it back together with the screw in that shape is beyond me but now I've got the problem of getting it out. I also bet the others are in a similar state.
Before I destroy any chance I have of getting it out does anyone have any suggestions/techniques? The Phillips head is stripped and my impact driver wont grip what's left, all I have is three gouges from last time it was removed. Oh, we have a lot of salt on the roads here so it's going to be seized.
I a combination of heat, drift and hammer the best way to start?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: ABS and brake rotor removal

You can drill through the center of the screw until the head comes off. Then pull the rotor off. Then grab what is left of the screw with some vise grips and unscrew it. If it wont come out drill through it with the tap drill size and rethread it. If you put a new screw in put some never sieze on it. I think it is a 8mm screw. The new LR3 uses a torx head screw you might want to go to the dealer and see if it is the same size.

Willie

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...rill-chart.htm

Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: ABS and brake rotor removal

As already mentioned drill the head off, the rest will come out easy. The screw is only there to hold the disc on / in position, so you could even refit without it and replace it later (if you wish) when you get some.

Heres my write up on the front brakes, and you will see I drilled mine out to as they were pooped

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/brakes.html

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is not a phillips head bolt, it is a pozidriv that is why they are always damaged, people using the wrong tool. Drill it out and don't worry about damaging the threads it is not needed, so don't worry about replacing it.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mcrw
Hey guys,

I need some help here. I've got the three amigos and I have a lot of brake drum dust on the front passenger rim. I've also got brake squeal.
So I thought it be a good chance that the sensors needed cleaning. As with everything I've tackled so far it's never straight forward :-)
Anyhow I got the wheel off and the pads look good except for all the brake dust. I'm just about to take the rotor off and I notice the screw that holds the rotor to
the hub is completely mangled. It looks like the last 'mechanic' used a drift or something to get it out as there are three gouges around the head of the screw.
Why he put it back together with the screw in that shape is beyond me but now I've got the problem of getting it out. I also bet the others are in a similar state.
Before I destroy any chance I have of getting it out does anyone have any suggestions/techniques? The Phillips head is stripped and my impact driver wont grip what's left, all I have is three gouges from last time it was removed. Oh, we have a lot of salt on the roads here so it's going to be seized.
I a combination of heat, drift and hammer the best way to start?

Thanks,
Mark
Most important, be sure safety is at the front of your mind. You'll be taking the wheel off so be sure you have your car jacked up and resting securely on jackstands.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-17-2010 at 01:10 AM.