Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Scan question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Scan question

The 3 amigos appeared on our 2004 Disco 2, the dealer scanned with this diagnosis "found fault code abs module - 08:5 right/left wheel sensor too gap recommend replace new overlay harness abs wheel speed sensor"

Any idea which wheel/s this if referring to? Do i need an overlay harness and a speed sensor?

Thanks, Mike

Old 12-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikec205
The 3 amigos appeared on our 2004 Disco 2, the dealer scanned with this diagnosis "found fault code abs module - 08:5 right/left wheel sensor too gap recommend replace new overlay harness abs wheel speed sensor"

Any idea which wheel/s this if referring to? Do i need an overlay harness and a speed sensor?

Thanks, Mike
This might help, but I cant find anything saying exactly what sensor 8.5 is referring to.

o: 70/03/05/NAS
FGN 206-09
Ref: 70/01/05/NAS
Issue: 1
Date: 07 July 2005

Wheel Speed Sensor Related
ABS/TC/HDC Warning Lamp
Illumination Troubleshooting

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Discovery Series II (LT)
All

SITUATION:

ILLUMINATED ABS/TC/HDC WARNING LAMPS

A customer may complain that the anti-lock braking system (ABS), traction control (TC) and hill descent control (HDC) warning lamps are illuminated. There are a variety of potential causes of a wheel speed sensor fault. When T4 diagnostics indicates that the fault (logged codes 4.4, 4.5, 4.6,
4.7, 6.4, 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6 and 8.7) is the wheel speed sensor, the information in this bulletin should be used to diagnose the problem.

RESOLUTION:

DIAGNOSE WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATION CAUSES

Should a customer express concern regarding the warning lamp illumination, the diagnostic procedure in the "Repair Procedure" section of this bulletin should be used to troubleshoot the problem and ensure that a successful corrective action is taken.

Zoom and Print Options
22_TEC700305050707-001a.png

PARTS INFORMATION:

TOOLS
T4 "RDS" Disc ........"Archive 23" or later

Zoom and Print Options
23_TEC700305050707-001b.png

DDW WARRANTY CLAIMS:

NOTE:
Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.

DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

TROUBLESHOOTING ABS WARNING LIGHTS

NOTE:
Land Rover approved brake pads/discs are fitted to the vehicle to ensure proper operation of the systems.

NOTE:
If during this procedure it is determined that the wheel speed sensor requires renewal, when locating the new sensor head into the hub care must be taken to ensure that the sensor O-ring is correctly located.

1. Connect T4 to the vehicle and load Archive disc 23 (or a later version).

2. Start a new diagnostic session.

3. Using the on-screen display, select:

^ "SLS & ABS"

^ "Vehicle Maintenance"

^ "Read ECU Information"

^ "Internal ECU Data"

4. Record the Internal ECU Data.

5. Return to Vehicle Maintenance screen and select "Fault Code Diagnostics".

6. Record and then clear any logged fault codes.

NOTE:
Damage to the wheel speed sensor lead includes cuts/abrasions to the lead insulation, even if these have not caused the sensor register open or short circuit.

7. Check the external condition of the suspect wheel speed sensor and lead for moisture ingress, damage to the insulation and possible exposed wires.

8. If there is no external damage to the wheel speed sensor lead, perform the following:

^ Check the condition of the suspect wheel speed sensor lead for evidence of internal damage or poor connectivity using the following technique:

a) Using T4, select "Real-Time Display" and then select "DC Voltage".

b) With assistance flex the wheel speed sensor lead and tap/flex the wheel speed sensor connector, observing the on-screen display for any changes in the displayed value.

^ If the displayed value changes, refer to TIB 70/01/05/NAS and replace the wheel speed sensor and lead with the sensor and complete overlay harness.

^ Clear any logged fault codes.

^ Disconnect T4 from the vehicle.

^ Road test the vehicle.

^ Connect T4 to the vehicle and ensure there are no new logged fault codes.

9. If moisture is present in the wheel speed sensor lead connector, perform the following:

^ Refer to TIB 70/01/05/NAS and replace the wheel speed sensor and lead with the sensor and complete overlay harness.

^ Road test the vehicle.

10. If the wheel speed sensor or the wheel speed sensor lead is damaged, the wheel speed sensor and lead must be replaced as an assembly.

^ Refer to TIB 70/01/05/NAS and replace the wheel speed sensor and lead with the sensor and complete overlay harness assembly.

^ Road test the vehicle.

NOTE:
With ECU SRD500070, during certain circumstances the ABS warning lamp may flash while the vehicle is braking at slow speed. This is normal functionality. The lamp will extinguish after a few seconds and it will not cause a fault code to be stored. If the lamp stays on for the remainder of the ignition on period, then check for stored fault codes. If any stored fault code indicates an erratic wheel speed sensor signal then proceed to step 12.

NOTE:
GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LT Discovery Series II/2004 > Workshop Manuals > Discovery Series II Workshop Manual 1999 MY on > Bookmark "70-BRAKES" > Link "70.65.08 ECU - Self leveling and anti locking brakes (SLABS)"

NOTE:
ECU SRD500070 is a replacement for both SRD000070 and SRD000150.

11. If fault codes remain stored in the SLABS ECU as identified in this bulletin or no faults were found while carrying out the diagnostic procedure on the wheel speed sensor, refer to GTR section 70.65.08 and replace the installed SLABS ECU with a new SLABS ECU (SRD500070).

^ When all ECU renewal steps are complete, road test the vehicle.

^ Connect T4 to the vehicle and verify that no new logged fault codes returned.

NOTE:
GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LT Discovery Series II/2004 > Workshop Manuals >

^ Discovery Series II Workshop Manual 1999 MY on > Bookmark "60 FRONT SUSPENSION" > Link "60.25.01 Wheel Hub"

^ Discovery Series II Workshop Manual 1999 MY on > Bookmark "64 REAR SUSPENSION" > Link "64.15.01 Wheel Hub"

12. If the fault returns, refer to GTR section 60.25.01 or 64.15.01 and replace the wheel hub at the reported fault location.

13. Clear any logged fault codes.

14. Disconnect T4 from the vehicle.

15. Road test the vehicle.

16. Connect T4 to the vehicle and verify that no new logged fault codes have returned.

Zoom and Print Options
93_landrover_disclaimer-001.png

Disclaimer
© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info, I've been doing a bit more research and it seems there may be a correlation between using aftermarket brake pads and the 3 amigos. I changed all the brake pads about 1 week before all the lights came on. Could this be the issue?

Old 12-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Thanks for the info, I've been doing a bit more research and it seems there may be a correlation between using aftermarket brake pads and the 3 amigos. I changed all the brake pads about 1 week before all the lights came on. Could this be the issue?
It's highly unlikely, more of a coincidence. IMO I'd disconnect each ABS sender 1 at a time then road test, if no additional faults then reconnect, clear the codes and pull another. Do this each time on all 4# ABS sensors until you identify which ones are the offending sensors.

Fortunately my Lynx identifies exactly which wheel sensor is at fault but the above is the only way I reckon you can isolate the offending sensors by elimination.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Drifting

The wheel speed sensor is a hall type sensor, it reads a tone ring. the brake pads would not effect that signal, however it is possible the sensor was damaged during the repair. The best way to diagnose would be a scan tool, I use Autologic, checking the actual signal from each wheel. The unplug method could work, but I would recommend having it diagnosed at a small independent and doing the repair yourself.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 AM
4wd Low

bought an autel scan tool - replaced the lt rear sensor, no more amigos

Old 01-03-2017, 01:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Good to hear you got a new tool and fixed the issue.