Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and SRS (restraints) Faults - Unplug, Clean and Reconnect

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts
Default ABS and SRS (restraints) Faults - Unplug, Clean and Reconnect

I spent a lot of time off and on over the last couple years trying to sort out a left front wheel speed sensor fault, and also a driver airbag fault.

Knowing the wheel speed sensor faults are often caused by a faulty connector where the sensor plugs into the wiring harness (on top of the wheel well for the left front) I cut out and spliced the wires, but the Three Amigos would still come back from time to time, and eventually much more quickly.

I was looking into replacing the sensor with the version that runs with no connector all the way to the SLABS computer under the glove box. I removed the cardboard panel under the glove box to access the SLABS and tried to figure out how to remove the wire from the connector, but I was never able to see how to do that. Despite that frustration, I plugged the connector back into the SLABS after cleaning it, and voila, the Three Amigos have not returned in the last six weeks since I did that.

Others have reported similar outcomes for SRS faults. They simply unplug then reconnect the connectors under the seats to remedy faults for the seatbelt pretensioners. I wasn’t quite that smart trying to solve the problem in my truck for a driver airbag fault.

As I reported in another thread a couple months ago (https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...atcher-108472/), I removed the console and the airbag to check continuity between the airbag and the SRS DCU. There was continuity, but the resistance on the circuit appears to have been the problem. I finally found, unplugged, cleaned and reconnected the rotary coupler connector under the steering wheel and resistance for the circuit dropped from 8.3 ohms to 5.5 ohms. That appears to have done the trick because the SRS light has been quiet since.

The moral of the story, boys and girls, is that when diagnosing problems like this first unplug, clean and reconnect ALL connectors in the circuit. Doing so may save you from headaches like the ones I had.

Last edited by mln01; 12-10-2023 at 11:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mln01:
H Hill (01-04-2022), JUKE179r (01-04-2022), T-rex (03-15-2024)