Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor jump test?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AC Compressor jump test?

Hello all,

I know on my other cars, I can just jump a switch (I think it was on the drier or thereabouts) just to verify the clutch engages. Is there such a sensor that I jump?

I wanted to verify if it's the compressor or just low on R134.

Thanks,
Leo

Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the "correct" way. But I have ran 12volts to the connector at the AC compressor to confirm the clutch is engaging.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
I'm not sure if it's the "correct" way. But I have ran 12volts to the connector at the AC compressor to confirm the clutch is engaging.
Yes, that would be another way. Is there an AC diagram (Disco II specific) out there that can be posted?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Baja

Landroverresource.com

Download the PDFs for discovery 2, they are called RAVE.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If you press the ECON button the clutch should disengage. The ECON setting shows in the digital climate control display.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
If you press the ECON button the clutch should disengage. The ECON setting shows in the digital climate control display.
Yes, but I need it to "engage"

Old 05-28-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MPDano
Yes, but I need it to "engage"
Turn the climate control down to say 17C or 4C below ambient temp. Get a third party, wife etc, to press the ECON button and the clutch will disengage and then after say 10 seconds get them to press it again so it is not in ECON. The clutch should engage when there is no ECON showing on the digital display. If it doesn't engage it sounds like either a climate control dash head fault (there is a self test procedure in RAVE) or a wiring or clutch fault. I'm afraid I don't know of another way to 'fool' the compressor into operating the clutch mechanism and I assume a signal input into the mutiplug may be the only answer but others may have some specific ideas.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Baja

I think his problem is that the compressor is not engaging during normal operation, so he is trying to diagnose the compressor to see if

A- The compressor is bad

Or

B- His system is low on juice and that is the reason the compressor is not engaging.

I think. If that is the case, I use a small Ridgid 12 volt drill battery, attach a positive and negative blade into the ports, then attach gator clips to the connector.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by abran
I think his problem is that the compressor is not engaging during normal operation, so he is trying to diagnose the compressor to see if

A- The compressor is bad

Or

B- His system is low on juice and that is the reason the compressor is not engaging.

I think. If that is the case, I use a small Ridgid 12 volt drill battery, attach a positive and negative blade into the ports, then attach gator clips to the connector.
Q: Is there a sensor or system the stop the clutch engaging if the system is low on gas?

Option: Have the system re-gassed and if it still doesn't work properly then it's not a lot of cash to lose.

A/C old addage "use it or lose it" as you may know if you don't use the A/C regularly the seals dry out and the gas escapes and it cannot take a re-charge until the seals are replaced/renewed.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Baja

I am not sure of the method, but if it is low on gas, the compressor will not engage.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor jump test?