Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor nightmare scenario

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AC Compressor nightmare scenario

My D2 AC was getting cold air then warm air. It was making the classic noise. Put dye in the system, removed belt. Discovered bad bearing in the pulley and oil leaking behind pulley. In process of replacing the bearing the metal flange that secures the 'C' clip broke off the body casing. Needless to say I am pissed off! So the D2 sits in the driveway.

I don't want a used compressor. Found a kit on EBay that sells: Dayco compressor, dryer, oil, O- rings and expansion valve all OEM for $377.95. But the dilemma is...

how do I get D2 to a potential shop? Bypass AC with shorter belt ~ $50.00 or tow?

Who will install purchased parts... is it reasonable to assume that some shop will do it?

Who can I trust. Read all kinds of scenarios- flush system always replace compressor with a new dryer. Not sure if the expansion valve is bad and location of it looks challenging for a generic shop. The nearest legitimate Land Rover mechanic is an hour drive.

Finally...

Can the (4) long bolts be replaced as new? Stripped the (2) back heads in the process of removing the compressor. Can they be replaced with new bolts and if so who sells them?

That's about it for now... nothing like a fun fix.

Thanks