Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC - Something seems off

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default AC - Something seems off

So I’ve had my D2 for about three weeks now and I’ve noticed that it doesn’t really cool me down. I’ve never had a rover but on the LO setting at max force seems the equivalent of level 1 force in my pickup.

The D2 throws “cold air” but just not as hard as I’d expect? Granted I live in Texas and we’re in a heat wave and the rover is black with black leather I could under stand some time to cool off BUT I just feel like it should have more force.

Any ideas? Anyone have the same issues? Is this just a D2 thing?

also what setting do you keep it on I swear there’s 1000 options for this AC.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:57 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m having the same problem—highest setting feels like it’s blowing really low. Except even though I keep it set to blow through the face vents, I can feel air by my feet and coming from the vent at the windshield. I was told that a chamber door inside is not diverting the air like it’s supposed to; it’s either open when it’s supposed to be closed or vice versa. I don’t think it explains why it isn’t blowing as strong as I feel it should. I’ve read posts here about redirecting power directly to the blower motor and watched a video about it but I haven’t tried it. Sorry I couldn’t be of help. If you search “blower” or “blow” here you will come across those posts.

The following users liked this post:
Carlos Man (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Seals on the blower pack, or debris in the blower. Also in TX I'd run LO/LO with recirculate on. It's not an LR3 and the HVAC is decent, but it's not going to ever give you chills in TX during the dead of summer especially a dark color interior/exterior. Parking in the shade, sun roofs/windows cracked, or a garage = your best options.

jastutte (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Seals on the blower pack, or debris in the blower. Also in TX I'd run LO/LO with recirculate on. It's not an LR3 and the HVAC is decent, but it's not going to ever give you chills in TX during the dead of summer especially a dark color interior/exterior. Parking in the shade, sun roofs/windows cracked, or a garage = your best options.
Is the blower accessible with out having to pop the entire dash off?

also I haven’t been able to get the HVAC sensor to show “ready” ... does that trigger any insight? Like I said I’m new to the D2 universe. But don’t mind the weekend garage projects.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

The blower is easy to access once you remove the passenger side cover under the glove box.
From memory it was 3 screws and disconnect the power wires to remove it.

Carlos Man (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

A slow blower could also be binding, I had a wad of human hair(I hope it was) binding the blower, dissassy and worked after that with no issue. Blower speeds should be significant volume wise, not saying it pushes a lot of air though.

RoverJess03 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Check out @SuperSport and his blower motor removal and cleaning DYI...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...30/#post367123

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
Carlos Man (08-14-2019), RoverJess03 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Check out @SuperSport and his blower motor removal and cleaning DYI...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...30/#post367123
Just finished taking the blower apart. There was like two leafs in there nothing crazy... the motor was dirty I brushed it off and added some oil and reinstalled it. NO CHANGE.

Im gonna take it over to an AC shop and test the refrigerant level again.

Blower motor control is clean, blower is clean, condenser is dripping.... I’m not sure what else to do but I can’t deal with this Texas heat in the rover.

I purchased a new cowl/cabin filter since mine is cracked and old hopefully that keeps debris out.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Older LR's are not known for Artic cold AC's. What I mean by that especially in a D2 = way to much glass. It's basically a greenhouse on wheels. For example say first thing in the morning you leave your garage with the AC on and drive 2-3HR without stopping. You will be fine as the AC is keeping the cabin that was already cool comfortable. However stop and leave it parked and then jump in and now the interior cabin is completely heat soaked. Dash, seats, roof, basically everything is extremely hot. The AC will run, but it's going to take it MUCH longer to cool it off. Newer R134A systems are much more efficient, and interiors are better insulated. You can remove the headliner and add the dynomat type insulation, park it with the windows cracked, park in the shade, or drive with the windows down for a few miles to get the hot air sucked out.

If you aren't getting good amounts of air out of the vents = try re-sealing your HVAC blower pack assembly and re-sealing the flaps. But honestly a black on black D2 is never going to be an iceberg especially in TX.

Carlos Man (08-18-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 04:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Update

So I’m still waiting for the cowl to come in and haven’t gone by the AC shop to check the refrigerant again.

Ive been driving my Truck around till I can figure this out but decided to take the rover out this early morning.

im noticing that the passenger side AC is blowing warm and the driver side is cool, my windshield is fogging up on the driver side, and my hot to cold button for the driver side is not illuminated but the passenger side is.

im at a loss... any ideas with this new update?

Last edited by Carlos Man; 08-21-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: AC - Something seems off