Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ace bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ace bleeding

Hi all,

I spent the better half of last night finding a fluid leak and have determined it came from the power steering/ace reservoir. I ended up taking out the reservoir, cleaning everything within reach with brake cleaner and half a roll of paper towels. I replaced the hose original hose clamps with the nice stainless adjustable hose clamps and refilled both sides with PS fluid. Do I need to bleed the ace system? I've searched the forum high and low and have seen numerous requests for help bleeding this system. I don't recall that I've found a 'how to'. Seems like it would be a good sticky to me. I also seem to get an amber ace light after about 2.5-3 hours on the highway during trips which goes off after stopping for gas and turning the rover off for 5 min or so.... any suggestions?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

This could be a long reply, send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not the top, you dont need to bleed if you just removed the reservoir. But pull a line and its a different story.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Administrator

So, when was the ACE and P/S actually fully bled?

Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So, when was the ACE and P/S actually fully bled?
I got my disco a few months ago and am taking advantage of my parents large garage with a heater this week. My garage is too cold. I wouldn't be able to tell you how long ago my fluids have been changed but they are definitely darker than new ps fluid. The main reason I even decided to tackle the leak until warmer weather was because yesterday my power steering started to groan like it was low on fluid... sure enough. Now that I've topped off everything, turned the steering wheel to the extremes and also turned the bleeder screw for the power steering, it's still groaning with intermittent power steering. No ace light as of right now, just no power steering. Sux to be 3.5 hours from home with a real set of tools and easy access top parts/supplies.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator

You need to flush that system so the ACE works better and the p/s doesn't blow, and it will with burned fluid.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You need to flush that system so the ACE works better and the p/s doesn't blow, and it will with burned fluid.
Well, I thought I'd share what the final result is.... Come to find out, after I emptied the ace/ps reservior and fixed the fluid leak with new hose clamps, it was the power steering pump after all. I made it home 3.5 hours (on the highway fortunately) with no power steering. The reservoir was full of foamy fluid until I stopped and put a whole Lucas PS stop leak in then the foam went away but it's still leaking like a room full of bladders at a nursing home Christmas party. How does one pull the drip tray out from underneath? Let the wheels hang while the frame is supported by jack stands?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Can you walk me through it too Mike? 617-206-7211

Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Drifting
Default ACE Bleed

My rover was born and raised in Texas. 1999 Disco 2, Solid as a rock and no corrosion. Leak developed at the block, in front. Rover Dealer just disabled it. I'm horrified of the handling difference, so I brought it to a private tech with rover exp. After repairing the leaks, I brought it to another dealer to reprogram it and restore the ACE belt, (I have AC as well) and back to the tech, and had 1 more leak at the block (it was the pipe that was a bugger to get out, so it probably compromised it) They also replaced the pipe from the pump as it leaked as well, and installed new seals. Dry as a bone now, but you hear that hissing sound. Like air in the system. I have heard you can bleed it by bouncing around with it hard. Will this work? I hate to spend more $. Already at $2,300. Any Advice?

Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rdhilaire
. I have heard you can bleed it by bouncing around with it hard. Will this work? I hate to spend more $. Already at $2,300. Any Advice?
Hey Rdhilaire,

I believe for a full ACE bleed you need a Nanocom like mine with a full ACE bleeding routine or possibly a Hawkeye but I can confirm that one will do it. I did not need to bleed after replacing my reservoir. I don't know if DM is around any more. I haven't seen a post or reply from him in awhile although I admit I haven't been on the forum as religiously as I usually was. I've disabled my ACE due to some codes I've been unable to resolve. Been running without it for a couple of months and I do have to say I miss the way it used to handle.

Quick Reply: ace bleeding