Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actuator replacement - door latch rod release?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actuator replacement - door latch rod release?

I'm hoping someone can help... I'm replacing both driver and passenger window regulators and door actuators. Regulators are done (thanks to RAVE and the write-ups here). I'm on the verge of having the first actuator out but am stuck on how to release the door latch rod from the actuator. It looks like lots of flimsy plastic and I'm afraid to push/pull too much...

I'm attaching a (crappy) pic of where the rod attaches to the actuator; can someone explain in more words than RAVE how to release this thing?

Thank you!!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Related question - should I be released the actuator end of the rod, or the end connected to the door latch?

EVERYTHING else is done except for releasing this stupid rod! Trim panels off, window and door frame out... just stuck on this step.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Anyone? Even a pointer to confirm if it's the top (to the door latch) or bottom (to the actuator) that should be released would be helpful...

Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Drifting

<sigh>

OK. Got it now.

It's always easier AFTER you do it once. On to the passenger side tomorrow...

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait until you try to pop it back in.....now THAT is the fun part!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Needle nose pliers - carefully squeezed the back of the rod at the 90 degree bend and the white plastic fitting together. THAT was the easy part!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh you got off lucky! My plastic piece kept on popping open after a day or so of use.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Drifting
Default Front Actuators

Just order the verticle rod plastic clip before you do the job. It will tolerate unsnapping once or twice, but mine broke the 3rd time trying to get it right, AFTER the door was closed, and wouldn't open again.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Drifting

Did front actuators last week, and I'm doing both rear actuators tomorrow, and peeking in today, looks like there is no way to do it without removing window frame. Fronts: ok to just loosen frame. Rear: no way. Cruise control switch too.... I just bought this rig and it is solid as a rock. Just the $3,000 periferals like tires, bumpers, fog lites, wheel bearings and brake pads etc....
I will have plenty of tips eventually. I have already saved $3,000 in labor charges. Will keep new members like me posted.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Drifting
Exclamation

Originally Posted by renfield
I'm hoping someone can help... I'm replacing both driver and passenger window regulators and door actuators. Regulators are done (thanks to RAVE and the write-ups here). I'm on the verge of having the first actuator out but am stuck on how to release the door latch rod from the actuator. It looks like lots of flimsy plastic and I'm afraid to push/pull too much...

I'm attaching a (crappy) pic of where the rod attaches to the actuator; can someone explain in more words than RAVE how to release this thing?

Thank you!!!!

Flatten out those 2 tabs that face eachother at a 3 degre angle.the outer tabs will allow it to open. You should just order 2 of them, and see how they work because they will break anyway. This clip failure will cause both the inside and outside door levers to become dead, and the door will be unable to open inside or out.