Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding jump seats into a non-SE7

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 12:28 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding jump seats into a non-SE7

Hey all, I'm in the market to replace my D2 SE7. It's rusty and unsafe and the frame looks like it's going to crumble on the next pot hole. I want to replace it with another one, but there are not a ton out there that fit the bill.

If I find a 5 seater, I wonder if I can take the seats from mine and add them into a new one, but has anyone done this before?

Old 11-16-2021, 12:53 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

It is doable.

That being said I don't know why anyone would go to that work when you could just buy an SE7.

And another thing... These vehicles are really to small to be a true 7 passenger... If you really need that kind of people hauling capacity there are more suitable vehicles to be had.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:05 PM
Drifting

I am looking for an SE7, but the options are limited and there are some pretty good looking SE5s out there!

I have 4 kids, so need the capacity for my daily driver to be a school bus sometimes. The kids love it!

And I still have my SE7, so if I can find one I can always swap parts out with what I have in the driveway.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:10 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

If your vehicle is not VIN-coded as a 7-seater from the factory, you might run into some insurance grief if you have an accident and there's someone in those seats.

The following 4 users liked this post by mollusc:
H Hill (11-21-2021), Massrover (11-17-2021), matt3502 (11-20-2021), Virgil Grillone (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

I recently went from a 7 to 5 seater so as mentioned above it is possible. Valid point about insurance as well. The only thing that you will not be able to do (unless money is no object) is get rear AC installed which most 7 seaters have.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish my SE7 had rear air. Those really hot days I just dont drive it.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Feeling like this goal isn’t an easy reality. I’m not worried about insurance, not worried about rear air, just looking for the perfect car for me (D2 with lower miles that can be a daily driver and last many years and also could be up-fitted for fun stuff); but also needs to have extra seats for short trips to school and errands when necessary.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever actually done it? I am mechanically capable, could throw my current seats into the back of an SE5 if it is feasible, but hoping to see someone who’s done it.

Might have to narrow the field and find a SE7.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

I added the additional seats. It’s not too difficult. All of the holes are there you just need to add all of the hardware, which is more than just seats. You have Headrests attached to the roof, anchors in the floor (seats won’t open up without them), side trim pieces also have to be added for the seatbelt cutouts. As mentioned some setups have rear AC some don’t, so the left seat has a shorter or longer frame depending on your setup (I learned this the hard way getting a seat that didn’t fit). Again, it’s not that difficult as long as you know what you need for the install.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
I added the additional seats. It’s not too difficult. All of the holes are there you just need to add all of the hardware, which is more than just seats. You have Headrests attached to the roof, anchors in the floor (seats won’t open up without them), side trim pieces also have to be added for the seatbelt cutouts. As mentioned some setups have rear AC some don’t, so the left seat has a shorter or longer frame depending on your setup (I learned this the hard way getting a seat that didn’t fit). Again, it’s not that difficult as long as you know what you need for the install.
Love it!! I’ll send you a private message if this is the path forward. Thanks!!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:50 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Here is the installation manual.

Attached Files

Last edited by acg; 11-17-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding jump seats into a non-SE7