Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding jump seats into a non-SE7

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 01:57 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

My Disco was also a 5 seater converted to 7 seater. All the seat belt anchor bolts and seat base anchor attachments are already there once you remove the trim. The key is keeping tracking of the bolts, trim pieces, nuts, etc.

A friend is installing the third row seats. This is the in-progress pic after he installed the driver side. He is taking the seats from another Disco truck parked next to his own Disco. This is helping to provide a convenient reference for doing the conversion.

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (11-17-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

If you lived closer I’d consider parting with my setup. Actually removed the seats just last week to install sub and amp. Haven’t used in several years. All the kids grew up!

Old 11-20-2021, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

With respect, you should be worried about the insurance. If something happens and you have passengers in the jump seats your insurance company might leave you hanging. This was discussed here many years ago and think a rover owner who was an insurance agent said " Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!"

Old 11-20-2021, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Insurance is the last thing I'd be worried about. As long as your using genuine parts, seats, mounts, belts, etc. What's the difference? Even then, someone would have to prove that a the seats were not installed correctly and contributed to the accident or increased injury. You'd be involving expert witnesses and all sorts of stuff, I guess it's possible but highly unlikely.
People in the van industry do this kind of stuff all the time, upfitters, cargo van conversions, handicap van. All sorts of aftermarket.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:28 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate all the feedback! Good to know all the holes are there, but turns out I made an offer on an SE7 after all, flying to Austin to pick it up after thanksgiving, I’ll post it when it’s home!

Old 11-21-2021, 07:22 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by brivalen
Insurance is the last thing I'd be worried about. As long as your using genuine parts, seats, mounts, belts, etc. What's the difference? Even then, someone would have to prove that a the seats were not installed correctly and contributed to the accident or increased injury. You'd be involving expert witnesses and all sorts of stuff, I guess it's possible but highly unlikely.
People in the van industry do this kind of stuff all the time, upfitters, cargo van conversions, handicap van. All sorts of aftermarket.
None of this proof about correct installation would be required. All an insurance company would have to say is that the vehicle was not certified for these seats from the factory. End of story. Professional converters certify their work.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I am considering getting rid of my back two seats. Same deal, have not used them in forever. The kids do love them however. They tend to rattle, which drives me nuts, you can replace some of the rubber bumpers to improve it, but still some movement back there.

To consider, the headliner and head rests come out, seat belts, etc. Its not quiet as simple as just the seats, which are very easy.

If anyone near Central Jersey wants to take a run at a swap, let me know.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:23 PM
Drifting
Default New Disco!

Flew blind to an online listing and drove her 14 hours home. Really excited!

PO bought a great stock 2004 D2 SE7 to build out his beach truck for his second home and spared no expense in upgrades: new sound system, apple play radio, front and rear bumpers, tinted windows, winch, paint job, powder coated rims, new tires, and a bunch of other fun bells and whistles. He finished the big rebuild, put a few hundred miles on, and decided he’d rather have a new Bronco. I bet he put the cost of the value in the car into upgrades and sold it at a loss. I feel like I won!

Rolled back into town after a marathon 14 hour drive at 5:45am and went right back to work. Great week!

I want to add a lift and a roof rack and I’ll have the dream that I’ve been wanting all along. This one is full BROver.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:29 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Congrats! That will look great once you get rid of those crazy low profile tires!

Old 11-30-2021, 10:30 PM
Drifting

Right?! I thought I’d take the 2” lift of my other D2, but everything is rusted out ugly and on 16in rims. This one will get built right!