Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 120K Service - Starting Problems part deux

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***UPDATE*** LOW FUEL PRESSURE - After 120K Service - Starting Problems part deux

A few weeks ago, I performed a 120K service on my vehicle. Prior to the service, I had been having starting problems with my rover. While I hoped the service would help, the starting problems have persisted.

Right now, I seem to have the most trouble starting my truck in the mornings after it has been sitting over night. I always turn the key to the II position for a few seconds until I hear the fuel pump click off. Then I try to start it. Usually, it takes about 3-4 attempts to get it started in the mornings (no more than 10 seconds with the key in the start position each time). Sometimes it will sound like it is just about to turn over, but just wont catch. Other times, it may turn over but it will sputter and idle very roughly for a while (when this happens, it will either die after a few seconds or sputter for a few then run normally). There has been only one time so far that I was unable to start it.

I did change the fuel filter during my service a few weeks ago, but have not tested my fuel pressure since I have been having this problem (I don't have a guage at the moment). I do have some problems every once in a while when I am pumping gas in the truck where it triggers the automatic shutoff at the fuel station pump where it won't pump any more fuel in the vehicle like what happens when your tank fills up (this happened a few times over the past summer - and may have nothing to do with this issue). I thought it may be my vent hose clogging up or something like that, but I didn't replace it at the time and haven't had any problems with it lately.

To this point, it has yet to throw any codes. Any ideas on what may be wrong and/or the best approach to test this so I don't start throwing money away to replace perfectly good parts? Also, if it is the fuel pump, do I have to drop the tank to replace it or can I replace it throw the access panel in the cargo area?

Last edited by paul1454; 02-27-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Just threw a code. This may be completely unrelated though. It was PO116 and a PO118, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit high voltage/low temp. The coolant looked a little low so I added a little. I'll see if it comes back.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

This would make sense, not being caused by low coolant though.
With these codes, the ECU may not be going into open loop/ cold start cycle.
Tomorrow, chnage your starting procedure, turn the key to the second position 3 times for about 5 seconds, then attampt a start and get back to us with any change.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Before you try and start it in the morning press the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see if you have any fuel pressure.
And no, you do not need to drop the gas tank to replace the fuel pump.
You go through the floor.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Do you think the codes may have anything to do with the recent t-stat replacement? Wondering if the new t-stat is faulty.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

D1 or D2?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling

98 d1

Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by paul1454
Do you think the codes may have anything to do with the recent t-stat replacement? Wondering if the new t-stat is faulty.
What does your temp gauge say? If the truck is running in the normal range then I would say that the t-stat is good.
It is very possible that coolant temp sensor is bad, the truck is 10 years old and all.
www.atlanticbritish.com

Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Mike: Tried the starting technique you recommended this morning. Nothing really changed.

Spike: The temp is reading fine. So I guess the t-stat has nothing to do with it. After topping up the coolant, I reset the code. It hasn't come back on.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Alright, so I reset the codes yesterday after topping up the coolant. Today, they came back after I it sputtered for a few seconds before dying (it started up the next try). Same ones: P0116 - Engine coolant temp circuit Range/Performance; P0118 - Engine coolant temp circuit high input. The temp guage in the truck has run normal and I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary regarding the performance of the truck (aside from the starting issue).

Mike, you think these codes could explain my starting issues? Is the P0118 simply the fact that the ECT is getting high resistance? How would this affect my starting? It seems that if the ECT is getting high resistance, that would mean it is sensing a cold start and the ECU would adjust to the appropriate fuel mix for cold starting.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: After 120K Service - Starting Problems part deux