Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket coolant gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017 | 08:34 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default aftermarket coolant gauge question

got Glowshift stuff coming in the mail, but notice the stock coolant sender unit has two wires coming off it, has anyone tried taping into those two wires to go straight to there aftermarket coolant gauge? id guess the factory location for coolant temps would be the most accurate over the inline radiator hose setup that aftermarket setups use correct?

Old 01-31-2017 | 10:08 AM
Mudding

Great question, was also thinking the same thing. Curious to see what the more knowledgeable have to say.

Old 01-31-2017 | 10:41 AM
Winching

When I was deciding on what gauge and how to install, I wanted a system completely separate from the factory installed stuff. I'm paranoid regarding coolant temps, oil pressure, etc. and I basically wanted to double check what the stock computer was reading.

If you would rather not install any additional sending units, an Ultragauge would be the simplest option.

Old 01-31-2017 | 10:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Did this to my D1, exiting water will read the same as your block, it's surprising to see a real gauge move over my factory. Oil pressure as well, who knew these things to 20 seconds to build oil pressure in full. Both are easy projects with peace of mind end results.

I'll add, both of my gauges are old school, not electric.

Old 01-31-2017 | 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
got Glowshift stuff coming in the mail, but notice the stock coolant sender unit has two wires coming off it, has anyone tried taping into those two wires to go straight to there aftermarket coolant gauge? id guess the factory location for coolant temps would be the most accurate over the inline radiator hose setup that aftermarket setups use correct?
im sure you can get a "t" and do it that way

Old 01-31-2017 | 11:18 AM
Camel Trophy

Why not just use the UltraGauge?

Old 01-31-2017 | 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
im sure you can get a "t" and do it that way
Using a T for coolant temps not a good idea. OP fine to use T.

Old 01-31-2017 | 01:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by number9
Using a T for coolant temps not a good idea. OP fine to use T.
i stand corrected

Old 01-31-2017 | 08:42 PM
|
Rock Crawling

im currently just using a blue tooth device and using torque on my phone. i just don't want to be pulling out my phone and connecting and all the crap every time i get in and drive around. so just doing the dedicated coolant temp gauge thing. i know a lot of people on here like there ultragauges device, also feel like by passing what the computer is telling me it thinks the temps are anyways. with boots on driving the obd2 port with anything plugged in is kinda in the way as well.

Originally Posted by mln01
Why not just use the UltraGauge?

i ordered the 32mm inline thing that the sensor goes into. sounds like the coolant running threw the hose will be close to or exactly the same as the block temps.

hypothetically if i were to do this: looks like two wires going into the OEM setup, and the glowshift setup has i think two wires as well. so i guess you would just tap into each wire on the OEM to send a signal back to the glowshift gauge correct?

Old 01-31-2017 | 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench

with boots on driving the obd2 port with anything plugged in is kinda in the way as well.
I could never do that. Don't know about the UG but my ScanGauge uses a small 90 degree plug that doesn't stick out in the least bit.

Quick Reply: aftermarket coolant gauge question