Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket coolant gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017 | 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Just finish doing the cooling system upgrade on our discoII and installed a glowshift water temp.
Using a wifi obdII with a phone app now I can see between 5 to 7 degrees difference between the OEM sensor and the aftermarket gauge

Old 02-01-2017 | 03:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RawFaith
I can see between 5 to 7 degrees difference between the OEM sensor and the aftermarket gauge
That's to be expected. You gave no + or - hints.

I'll guess aftermarket is reading lower.

Old 02-01-2017 | 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by number9

yes you are right number!
placed the temp sensor on the upper radiator hose and its reading is lower than the oem.

Old 02-01-2017 | 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench

its reading is lower than the oem
Guess based on getting a few degrees lower with a IR at base of my temp sensor in manifold. Always good to have a backup temp gauge and know readings are fairly close together.

The following users liked this post:
RawFaith (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017 | 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling

......Always good to have a backup temp gauge and know readings are fairly close together.
couldn't agree more with you

Old 02-01-2017 | 07:56 PM
|
Rock Crawling

did you do the inline sensor with your coolant gauge or did you tap into the existing OEM coolant sensor?

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Did this to my D1, exiting water will read the same as your block, it's surprising to see a real gauge move over my factory. Oil pressure as well, who knew these things to 20 seconds to build oil pressure in full. Both are easy projects with peace of mind end results.

I'll add, both of my gauges are old school, not electric.

Old 02-01-2017 | 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling

readings now when i got home

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket coolant gauge question-img_0030.png   aftermarket coolant gauge question-img_0031.jpg  
Old 02-01-2017 | 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench

readings now when i got home
Mine were closer, actually the same when stone cold. Larger split at operating temp would seem to be expected. Your senor is also mounted a short distance from where max temps would likely be sensed. In days paste we didn't have any accurate reading to compare and usually just added a gauge to supplement the lone idiot light. I'd like to add one too and hope to get around to it one day.

Last edited by number9; 02-01-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2017 | 06:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Mine were closer, actually the same when stone cold. Larger split at operating temp would seem to be expected. Your senor is also mounted a short distance from where max temps would likely be sensed. In days paste we didn't have any accurate reading to compare and usually just added a gauge to supplement the lone idiot light. I'd like to add one too and hope to get around to it one day.

You are dead on!when starting the truck the temps are the same and the max discrepancy is at heavy traffic.
I thought that the install of the probe on the upper rad hose and after the inle Tstat will be providing almost the most accurate reading.
quick unusual question: working on bleeding the coolant sys...is it possible that the more i bleed the lower ( couple of degrees ) on operating temp and minimal difference between gauges?
here is a pick of our mod, dyi bleeder on the far right ( lower part of upper rad hose )

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket coolant gauge question-img_0032.jpg   aftermarket coolant gauge question-img_0033.jpg   aftermarket coolant gauge question-img_0034.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017 | 08:54 AM
Pro Wrench

dyi bleeder on the far right
It's possible you'd get less of a split once all the air is out? I really wouldn't worry about a small split such as that since you can just remember do the easy mental math to be cautious as we don't know what reading/sensor is the more accurate one.
If you can easily swap the sensor and the bleeder it would be good to raise the bleeder to the higher point. Moving the sensor a short distance shouldn't change your readings or split.

Quick Reply: aftermarket coolant gauge question