Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Hello All,

I would like to install an after-market oil pressure gauge on my Discovery so I can monitor it "real time" as opposed to waiting for the light on the dashboard to come on when it's too late!

I believe I will need some type of "T" fitting to fit the stock sending unit and the other end for the gauge....

Suggestions?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Get an electric oil pressure gauge so you don't have to run a line full of oil into your cab like on a mechanical gauge. I have seen the lines break and make a mess of the interior. I like Autometer gauges myself. I have had good luck with them in other vehicles.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I can go with electric. Anyone done this?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have not done it but I think it would be pretty easy. Just plug into the oil sending unit and mount your gauge.
You might need to remove the bulb from the oil light on the dash, not sure if the light will stay on after you unplug the sending unit or not.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

hey guys,

I am thinking of removing/buying this plug and going to a specialty shop that can make the threading and a adapter so i can mount an oil pressure sender off an after market ELECTRIC Oil pressure gauge. Would removing this plug give the pressure sender enough flow of oil to attain an accurate reading??

The type I am wanting to use is the kind that does NOT use the "nylon" tubing going to the gauge. It uses a separate sender that can mount on a "T" or "L" type fitting and then wires from that give the gauge in the car the readings...like this one

I want to retain the stock oil pressure switch in its place and not make unnecessary fittings (unless i have to)

????

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds very interesting to me as a fellow '03 owner. I have over 114k on my Disco now, so I should be in the clear, but you can never be too safe in my opinion.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Mudding

The novelty of a mechanical oil pressure gauge is interesting.

Your oil pressure value is sent to you live, via the oil medium coming up from your trusted oil pump to your dashboard.

That is the way the rovers came from the factory in the fifties and sixties.

Personally, I would go with a mechanical gauge, eliminating the electronics that interpret the oil pressure for me.

Check this SMITHS UK gauge, which is OE:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...;pCode=070.068

Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Having used mechanical gauges in the past I will say that it is a real bummer when those lines going to the gauge break, and they will with age. Fortunately I only had problems with my mechanical boost gauge on my Dodge diesel but the whistling in the cab coming from that cracked line when I really got on it was enough to make you deaf.

Autometer or VDO are both very good accurate gauges regardless of whether you go mechanical or electric.

Most auto parts stores will have bushings that will fit in the hole you want to use for the sending if you know the thread size and pitch. For my boost gauge I use a bushing and an adapter to go from a 3/4" hole down to the 1/8" fitting for the tubing going to the gauge. Autometer's website will tell you exactly what the thread on the sender unit is so then you'll just need to find the right bushing to make it work. To clarify, when I refer to a bushing I'm talking an adapter with one size threads on the outside to thread into your hole and threads on the inside for your sender to be threaded into. Make sense?

Hope it helps.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

They should have retained a oil pressure gauge in our rovers too. Regardless if it was mechanical or electric.

So my question still remains...

Would removing the plug and adding ANY fitting to it to hook up to a mechanical or electrical oil pressure gauge suffice to get an accurate reading? Or do i need to use the hole that the oil pressure switch screws into and make a special fitting from there.

THANKS!!

Here's a rough diagram of what im trying to achieve. I only had "Paint" to work with...lol

Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
edh
Overlanding

Hi,
I have a 1974 vehicle with a good quality mechanical guage that replaced the dash light warning. I installed the unit after I became concerned about the accuracy of the electric unit. No reason other than that. That was 20 yrs ago. No broken lines!!
Over time I learned to read the guage well enough that I could tell when my oil level was down enough to warrant adding oil, in Canadian terms, that was about a litre. In fact I very seldom checked the dipstick.
I have it in mind to do the same with my 96 Disco. I want to add a vacuum guage as well to help monitor gas mileage.

Ed

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge