Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Just got off the phone with a reputable source (Disco Mike) and he said I CAN use the oil plug hole to attach fittings to an after market oil pressure gauge...

I'll post pics and procedures when it's done!

Sweet.....

Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jycsalas

Just got off the phone with a reputable source (Disco Mike) and he said I CAN use the oil plug hole to attach fittings to an after market oil pressure gauge...

I'll post pics and procedures when it's done!

Sweet.....

Please make note of where you find the fittings and Part Numbers as well.. Im not a fan of Idiot Lights!!!

I have had a mechanical line break and spew oil all over the inside of a vehicle before though..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
edh
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pancho,
I have also seen these lines break, not in my vehicle but in a vehicle involved in an accident. The broken line was a result of the accident not the cause. There were many thousands of vehicles manufactured with mechanicalguages before the dawn of computerized equipment. I have nothing against an electric guage of any kind, I just found it nice to be what I figured was in closer touch with my vehicle. Quite old fashioned I am. Theadvantages of an electric oil guageprobably outweigh those of a mechanical oil guage.

Ed

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

An electric gauge s simply taking a mechanical input in converting it to an electric signal. Older vehicle also used to have mechanical speedometers with cables running into the cab of the vehicle. Mechanical gauges work well and are reliable. I just prefer not having engine fluids flowing in to the cabin of my vehicle.

When I put the gauges in my Dodge diesel I decided on mechanical for 2 reasons. I liked the full sweep gauges rather than the half sweep and because boost and exhaust gas temp gauges only come in mechanical. EGT uses a thermocouple from the probe to the gauge.