Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket radio installation help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aftermarket radio installation help

i have a question could you take a picture of the harrness and another thing does you car have an factory amp?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:28 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a pretty cool unit. I can't remember the last time I listened to a CD so I went with the alpine that has no built-in CD player. I have a changer I could put under the seat in place of the factory one but haven't had time or ambition to do it. My head unit controls both my Ipod and Sirius radio so I'm happy with it although I wish I had waited a little longer and got the next step up. Oh well, just one more thing on the wish list.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Mudding

let me ask you did you hook up the blue cable from the harness to the blue remote cable from the dual radio harness some times with amplified systems the wires for the speakers will work but you need the amp turn on with is usually the blue wire

Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 PM
TReK

That's a good point Felipe. I never even consider the remote amp turn on lead needing to be hooked up. Without that you'll get no sound because obviously your amps aren't on. I really think that you will need the adapter I mentioned earlier but it's something worth looking into. And yes, his system like mine uses external amps. I think all Discoveries use external amps but I could be wrong. If I were home I would get a picture of the wiring harness for you but unfortunately I am stuck at work.

XD - Just thought of the fact that I ran all my wires; speakers, power and all; through that adapter. Seemed to make wiring less confusing at the time to do it that way than to wire up two separate harnesses. But I still say get rid of the other unused wires just to keep them from getting in the way and getting a wrong wire hooked up.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i think i have a factory amp and all that... i figure i either need some additional bits or i am not doin something right...

Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 PM
TReK

Double check that it is the solid blue wire (remote amp turn on) and not the blue/white stripe (power antenna) that you have hooked up. That could also make a difference and it is easy to confuse the 2. It seems that white stripe is always at an angle that it is hard to see.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Mudding

it does not matter since you dont have a power antenna you can hook all 3 it will not make a difference what is important is

yellow = constant power
red= ignition
black= ground
blue= power antenna or amp turn on but since you do not have a PA you can connect it to either.
white= left front speaker
gray= right front speaker
green= left rear speaker
purple= right rear speaker

Old 12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
TReK

Most aftermarket decks remove power from the power antenna if any mode such as CD is selected. Basically the deck thinks if you are not listening to the radio tuner then there is no need for the antenna to remain extended.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Mudding

yea but the blue one with a white strip on the aftermarket radio harness is the remote and the blue on the other harness could be either in this case he dosnt have PA so its going to be the amp turn on

Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll see what i can get sorted out here shortly and post up once i get it working...

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio installation help