Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age old Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age old Question

Can any body tell me (this is in an 04 Disco II)

A. What this canister is?

B. What it does?

Because,

Although the vehicle has been running great, this past weekend I was under the hood checking fluids and whatknot when I noticed the vacuum tube was not stuck on the nipple on the right side (facing fire wall). Shannon has it in her hand and the other pic she is pointing to it connected (the cannister is in between her hands in this one).

I ask because I connected it and this morning on the way to work we got a "Service Engine Soon" light checked all the fluids and everything is ok and it still runs fine so

Can hooking this back up set the light off?

Thanks
Robert

PS - Special thanks to my wife for modeling the canister for us.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Age old Question

Well, sir, that looks to me like your carbon canister.
What it does is it collects gas vapor from your gas tank, condenses it back to liquid and then returns it back to the gas tank.
The vacum line sucks the gas vapor into the engine to be burned while the engine is running.

When you get a emissions evap code that means a leak in this EVAP (evaporitive emmision loss system) system, either a lose gas cap or a leak in this system, or even a clogged carbon canister.

Hooking that vacum line back up should not have set a code.

All cars have had this kind of system since the '70's.
As we all know gas vapor is very very bad for the ozone.
Your gas tank build pressure from heat, like the heat coming off the hot parking lot for example.
If you ever open your gas cap and you hear a "swooshing" or "vacum" sound then this system is not working correctly.
More of a problem for people who live in Arizona, Texas, etc.

Thats what it looks like to me, but I could be wrong, it has happened before.
Just dont tell my wife that I was wrong.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

its the vacuum reservoir for your secondary air injection system. however, no, hooking it back up will not set light, it being off will. if the hose is off then you dont get vacuum to the SAI valves and they dont open, this will cause two codes to be stored for the SAI system, P1412 and P1415. make sure that it is on there tight, they have a tendancy to get oil fouled a bit and the rubber gets loose. not to point any fingers, but my guess would be that you accidently knocked it off while checking your fluids, and now its loose. get your codes checked... it is a disco, the light could be something entirely unrelated

Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the response folks - Spike, yep we'll always skip telling the women we're wrong Roverguy, Your probably right about knocking it off (no offense taken), I was thinking of putting a lil zip tie on it, also what does the SAI do? thats not the same as the secondary air suspension (that I don't have) is it?

Thanks

Robert

Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This one I do know, lol.
SAI (secondary air injection) is a emissions thing, it injects fresh air into the cats to get them hotter so that they burn better which means cleaner exhaust.
IMO it should be on every car and truck and not just certain models.
Think of it like this, it is California emissions.

SLS (self leveling suspension) is what you were thinking of, that is the air ride suspension, that runs off a air compressor under the truck.

ACE (active cornering enhancment) is hydrolic, it runs off the power steering system for a lack of a better expainlation.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the Whooosh when I open my gas tank....

So I suppose mine isnt working properly..
I thought it was a vacume pump.. Because sometimes I hear it turn on and it sounds like a mini compressor

Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike, Great information Thanks!

Pancho I get the Whooosh when I open my gas tank....
PANCHO, Dude it was - you hear a "swooshing" or "vacum" sound - Somehow I don't think that had anything to do with what it does FOR you [sm=tongue.gif]

The only sound I hear when I open the gas cap is the sound of money flying out of my wallet [sm=smiley30.gif]

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

pancho... no, yours is a 94, and hence totally different and will not have any of the three things that spike just explained... the air rush that you hear is due to vacuum in your tank, its caused by fuel leaving, but no air comming in, you most likely have a pinched or cloged vent tube, it comes off the side of the pump cap, very common for these little hoses to plug up