Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag suspension

It's been a while.

I apologize if this issue has been beaten to death in this forum, if so just point me in the right direction.

A guy I work with was talking about my Landrover and mentioned that if I converted my rear suspension to springs, (post lift) I could leave the compressor mounted there and convert it to be used for tire inflation and running small tools. This seems like a GREAT idea, I tow a camper more often then not and having that extra piece of mind seems like a GREAT thing. I've googled it and searched this forum and have come up with nothing.

Has anyone doen this or is this even possible?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Air bag suspension

Brian, your friend doesn't have a clue as to the design of the SLS pump, can't even come close to what you are talking about doing. Keep the suspension and buy a pump and tank built for you needs.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with Mike, no where near man enough for tyre inflation,...........how ever it can be used to operate lockers tho (if you have / get them)

Old 07-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys! It seemed a little "To good to be true". This guy has claimed all kinds of things about his Landrover (which he no longer has). Well, I think I still plan on converting over to all springs once my warranty is up. (another 25000 miles).

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Converting to springs would be the lamest thing you can do. Why would you want to???????????????????????????????????

Old 07-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Mudding

Really? I do love the air suspension for towing and stuff. It's great. I keep hearing horror stories about them failing while "4-wheeling". I also don't want to be in a position to have to replace them when they break when my warranty is up. Having real springs just seemed to make sence if I plan on making my DiscoII more rugged. Even my service advisor is like, "Yeah, then that warranty is up, I would really suggest switching out the airbags to regular springs, expecially if you plan on adding any lift at all..."

I don't know, it all just seems to make sence to me. Are you suggesting otherwise? You would be ther first. You seem to know what you are talking about so I'd love to get your view on it. I've got the OME 2 inch lift springs(shocks are already on) ready to go on (got them for free, see my post in the general forum "Gift for a Land Rover Machanic"). I've wondering if I should spend the $180 for the spacers from Rovertym and keep the air bags, or just take them out and use the rear springs that I have. What do you think?

I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic any advice would be GREAT!

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

I live in Colorado and although I don't get out as much as I would like, my 99 does really well on some of these trails from hell.
You will find that if you worry about everything everybody else warns about, you won't even leave your driveway in the mornings.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling

I have a 03 disco hse with 55,000 and beat and flex the @#*$! out of mine every day and they work great! I plane to replace them every 100,000 miles to avoid any break down if I had springs I would have to replace them I think every 75,000 or 100,000 miles becouse they will sag!
Just food for thought!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would suggest converting to springs, there is a guy who was out 'froading and he blew a airbag and had to limp home at 5mph.
And Mike is rught, you cant worry about everything. Your SLS WILL fail, it is just a matter of time, and you cant just repalce the bags, sometimes its the height sensors that go bad.
If you already have the springs then throw them in, if not then just wait until it fails and then replace it.
If you were to search hard enough you ould find that expedition vehicles do not have air suspension, they use springs because they are reliable, tried and true. Springs work all the time every time. They do break, but not often.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Overlanding

replacing coils after only 75,000?

If you do the coil swap you will probably never replace the coils or even need to do maintenance on them for the life of the truck especially if you go for some HD OME coils.

I love the airbags too, but after my 1st off road mishap I'm ditchen them ASAP and don't care about the ride difference........so long as I can get home.....everytime.

The airbags would probably be great if the compressor was a bit more tough and you swapped in the arnett life time gaurentee ones, but still I fear the compressor giving out while miles from home.

Im my opinion it is just far too week of a link. IF YOU GO OFF ROAD ALOT OR FAR FROM HOME..

Quick Reply: Air bag suspension