Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Leak puff puff puff from engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017 | 09:28 PM
|
3rd Gear
Default Air Leak puff puff puff from engine

Hello all, I have a '03 disco se, and recently I started having a puff puff puff noise coming from the engine. Took me a while, but finally found a spot in the engine where it appears the valvery cover gasket is, that's shooting out air. When you place a mirror under it, which is hard to do, you can see flame. Any ideas? No fluid leaks are noticeable.

Old 02-07-2017 | 09:36 PM
Baja

Blown head gasket.

Old 02-07-2017 | 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
Blown head gasket.
Agreed... That would make a cool video for reference. Take a video at night.

Oh and get ready for some work.

Old 02-07-2017 | 10:38 PM
|
3rd Gear

That's what I figured. I'm not very mechanically inclined but if it's on YouTube I can figure it out I hope. So, head gasket kit from atlantic british, head bolts, and that's it? What else should I need or need to do other than tear it down and put the new gaskets?

Old 02-07-2017 | 10:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Hang on, y'all. Could also be an exhaust manifold gasket. Let's not jump to conclusions, please. To the original poster, we need more facts and information to be able to help you. As others have suggested a video would be excellent.

Old 02-07-2017 | 10:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
Hang on, y'all. Could also be an exhaust manifold gasket. Let's not jump to conclusions, please. To the original poster, we need more facts and information to be able to help you. As others have suggested a video would be excellent.
true or a cylinder that is too rich and an exhaust leak

Old 02-07-2017 | 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

It "could" be exhaust leak, but I'm gonna go with a head gasket that failed at the cylinder itself. She'll sound like a WWII British Spitfire. Normally though with that kind of HG failure you'll have misfire faults. If you do and it's on one cylinder that will help narrow the problem down. If you don't have any misfire faults then it could just be exhaust gaskets.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-07-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2017 | 11:30 PM
Pro Wrench

The only reason I said was BC I had one at the manifold that was running rich and it turn it helped blow the weld out on my drivers side y pipe where they weld the top part. Sounded like I had straight headers going down the interstate.

Old 02-08-2017 | 06:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Under it? The lower intake? Where are you putting the mirror? Sorry if i missed something. But for what its worth my head gasket blew on the top near the lower intake and it was stripped head bolts from a previous repair. The other holes in my block were also in bad shape i highly recommend head bolts it cost a little more but will probably save you a lot of heart ache if you have anything near what my 03 had. I just did a thread covering all of this yesterday if you need part numbers. Don't worry about tackling this job, it may take you a little while but its not to complicated.

Last edited by gulfdisco; 02-08-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2017 | 06:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rover12
That's what I figured. I'm not very mechanically inclined but if it's on YouTube I can figure it out I hope. So, head gasket kit from atlantic british, head bolts, and that's it? What else should I need or need to do other than tear it down and put the new gaskets?
I would take it apart and see what you have. Take pictures and label and bag all the fasteners according to the system they relate to. And buy stock in easy off oven cleaner if you have had any other leaks,

Quick Reply: Air Leak puff puff puff from engine