Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension leak down test

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension leak down test

I'm sure this topic has been talked to death on but I can't seem to find a check list in the forum for when doing a leak down test. Here's my story:

The airbags on my 2000 Disco with about 135,xxx miles has been acting up lately. In the past few weeks, it would hold air then all of a sudden just lose it while driving or even while parked. It would fill up and be fine for a few days even weeks before acting up again. So I thought the SLS was venting the air out by accident (faulty sensor?). But it's been going down more frequently and now just in the past few days...it's been down and stayed there since. The pump still comes on everytime and I could start to see the back rise up to a point then go back down. Today it was able to go half way up when I got to work. Seems to me like the driver's want to come up but the passenger side doesn't.

It used just sag when it was -10 or so outside but would always stay up once pumped.

Anyway...I'm going to do a leak down test on the system this weekend to decide which path to take and I was just wondering where/what to check for leaks. Obviously the bags and line connections but is there anything else that I should look for? Is it okay to spray soapy water into the compartment where the compressor is located?

If it's just the bags...I don't mind replacing them cause i do like the SLS when towing my boat while hauling the family and gears around too...but if it's more than just the bags or something else spendier...I might just have to go to the route of converting it to springs. I did some research and seems like the price of the spring conversion (British Atlantic) and new air bags (Arnott Inc) are about the same.

Sorry for the long story. Any advice is greatly apprecitated. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You might want to send me your tele number before you spend too much time trying to figure out what is wrong with the system.