General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leak down test DISCO 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak down test DISCO 1

First off, thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me with info. I've only had my LR for 3 weeks but i've learned so much in that time, mainly because of this forum, so thanks again. I am 90% sure my head gaskets are blown but i need to perform a compression test and a leakdown test to be positive. The engine makes a hissing sound around the head/intake area and it's obvious that air is escaping from somewhere. I've been told that a leakdown test is the way to go at this point. Referring to my Haynes manual, it suggests a "proper" shop peform such a test. Can i do this myself and if so, where can i rent/purchase the necessary tools for the test? My plans were to replace gaskets and get the heads looked at by a machine shop. I've never done this on any engine before so i want to be sure i'm doing the right thing before i proceed. Here is a quick rundown -

96 DISCO 1 - 145 000 miles

Runs fairly strong, albeit a bit rich, but it sounds like a steam powered locomotive coming down the street, obviously something is leaking

No known prior history of the vehicle, but from the looks of it, i would say it's been neglected but not totally ragged out.

There you go. Looking forward to getting this damn thing on the road again. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully a little TLC and solvent will do the trick.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Leak down test DISCO 1

If you are hearing the Hiss, don't waist too much time with it, pull the heads down, keep an eye open for cracks and warpage.
Mike