Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airborne school

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airborne school

I replaced the coil pack, I dont remember the price.....275 sounds about right.

The cats were shot, driverside had a bunch of crud that would clang around - destroyed the o2 sensor. I replaced all four o2 sensors and welded in the new cat system - the one from AB that is kind of a y looking pipe with the cats, from header to muffler.

I also replased all the other usual stuff - oil, filters plugs etc... I am going to replace the ecu with one from a salvaged disco - same numbers. If that doesnt do it I will replace the crank sensor then maybe tear into the valves and clean them up - just dreading the valve job is all.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

I am about to send my truck to airborne school! I have seen this question posted before, hopefully this might become a stickey and get into detail....

I have the ever popular and dreaded 13,14 and 16 codes. Took it to a mechanic (dealership) and they gave me an estimate (10k - smoking crack they are) and a list of things to fix. I replaced the 02 sensors (all four), both cats (a new system form AB), coil pack (s), belt (drive), plugs, wires and filters. Still have the problem and codes. grrrrrr.

It has the intermitent sputtering problem I hear all the cool rides are getting these days. Just driving along, minding my own buisness and poof, crappy responce, crappy accelaration, crappy sounds. Like the motor is under stress/load. I can give it gas and get hardly a reaction....so I will continue driving, as this usually happens in a buisy intersection, and suddenly....well, more like progressively, the problem will go away and respond as it should, untill I come to another stop sign or light.

Any ideas? Mike????
Missed this post, stop throwing money at it and lets talk.
E-Mail me your tele number and a good time for me to call you.
mikeljacobs@comcast.net

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Mudding

sent.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the help so far Mike. I just ran around the block and came up with P-1316. Was that the air temp one or coolant temp one?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Mudding

So its been narrowed down to 'excessive emmisions'. How do I bring those down, Mike suggested temp. Should I replace the air temp AND the water temp sensors?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Mudding

Help.......
I have gotten diferent answers for this, I am hoping there is as few as possible solutions for fixing a P-1316 code.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Mudding

Update,

I did a compression test. All within normal range. I checked the gap on the plugs and torqued to specs. The dealership said I have coolant in the oil and recomended a head gaskett change. Is there a way to know for sure if I need one or not?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to do a pressure test on the cooling system. AutoZone rents pressure testers.
You put the tester on the radiator inplace of the radiator cap, pump up the PSI and wait, if it holds you are good, if not then you have a leak.
Remove the cap on the oil filler and look under the cap, is it covered with a white goop?
If they looked at the oil while you has Seafoam in it then they are thinking that that is water.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Spike555

If they looked at the oil while you has Seafoam in it then they are thinking that that is water.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I will do a pressure test anyways, just to rule it out.

Any other ideas on whats causing this P1316 code?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How does it run? If it is running fine then I would wait for the ECU to lean the new O2's.
You could also try resetting the emissions reminder. Go to www.discoweb.org and click the tech tab under their banner and look for "resetting the emissions reminder", or something to that effect.

Quick Reply: Airborne school