Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm remote start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm remote start

hey i am trying to find out who can install my alarm in my truck the guys that i work with say its to complicated and that its a lot of work involved and that they dont want to mess with it bcuz its a land rover. know my question would be have any of you installed an alarm plus remote start and have you had any complications. i got a viper 5701 on a 2002 d2

Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: alarm remote start

It is a pretty complicated install on a discovery due to the factory alarm system. It's not impossible but I would recommend having a professional install it. I am going to have a similar system installed in my D1.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You already have a factory alarm so why install a aftermarket one?
The remote start any PRO can do.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been considering a remote start myself since my rover is not garaged...kind of off topic but do the heated seats switch reset when you turn off the vehicle or does the switch stay in the on position? would be nice to look out the window, start rover and have seats heated when I get out there.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The butt warmer is a on/off switch. Leave it on and it will be on when you start the truck.
Now, here is what you need to remember about remote car starters.
The car will run for 15 min then shut off.
It will stay locked.
Not all come with the anti-grind feature, make sure that the one you get does. If you do not get that one then you might grind the starter everytime you put the key in the ignition.
Turn your wipers off before you park the truck. If you leave them on then they will come on when you use your remote, if they are frozen to the windshield/rear glass you will burn up your wiper motor.
If you stereo is at "10" then it will be at "10" when you remote start the truck.
Basically it is how you left it the last time you drove it.
So if you are parking it for the night and you want it to be warm in the moring and the windows clear...turn the defroster to HOT before you shut it off the night before.
If you want the truck cool the next moring then turn the A/C to "cold" the night before.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seat heater switches stay on until you push them again and turn them off. The ignition supplys power to them, so the heaters will turn on/off with the ignition switch untill you push the heater buttons to turn them off. At least that's how it works in my D2.

So, NiteTrain, yes. If you installed a remote start and leave the seat heater switches on, them you will have a nice warm spot to sit on. Hope this was not tooo confusioning.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool, thanks for the info..now I have another reason to order the heated seat switches from AB.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I'm slow on the draw! That is what I get for talking to the wife on the phone and replying at the same time. Don't even want to know what happens when I chew gum and walk at the same time. Sheeesh! [8D]

Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NW_rockhound

Dang, I'm slow on the draw! That is what I get for talking to the wife on the phone and replying at the same time. Don't even want to know what happens when I chew gum and walk at the same time. Sheeesh! [8D]
You'll fall down. It's OK, at least your wife will be happy cuz you were talkin to her.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

As everyone else has said, the seat heaters stay on until you turn the switch off. Once you push the button they come on until they get to the specified temperature then work intermittently to maintain the temperature. Do not leave the heater blower on high. All your heat will go to the heater and cause the engine to take longer to warm up. I have a remote start on my Dodge and I leave my heater fan on 3 (of 4) and it works great. Truck is nice and warm when I come out to get in.

Spike is right about the stereo. There's nothing worse than opening the door and being blasted by the stereo. Had that happen too many times. You would think after a while I would learn.

You only have to worry about the anti-grind feature if you're like me and forget the truck is already running and turn the key to start it. I've done and been very thankful for the anti-grind. My problem is usually forgetting about the key and stepping on the brake, killing the engine.

Quick Reply: alarm remote start