Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning steering wheel with front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Aligning steering wheel with front tires?

Still got 4 weeks to go BUT I'm trying to get prepared for afew upcoming repairs on my 04 Disco.

Right now as it sits at the sellers house the steering wheel appears to be out of alignment to the front wheels. First thought was that the Disco was in an accident but after inspecting the exterior of the front and rear end, their appears to be no indication of a accident. Im thinking that there is/was an issue with the steering column or an issue with the power steering gearbox that caused the steering wheel to become out of position.

So my question is: How do I fix it? I have prior experience replacing the PS gearbox on my former 98 D1 so I might be inclined to do the work myself. But I have no idea about aligning the suspension or wheels. Do you guys think this will be a relatively simple DIY fixer-upper or should I just bring it to DAP Enterprise and have them fix it?

Here are afew pictures. Observe the position of the steering wheel to the actual wheels. Grant I do not know for sure if these pics were taken the same day but i think they were.

Now observe the front bumper. Again their appears to be no damage other than some chipped paint on the A-frame brush bar. All the front lighting works just fine.

Name:  DSCN0482-1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  235.3 KB

I did notice a large crack on the cover of the plastic jack cover located under the bonnet but nothing else under their that would suggest damage from a collision. The paint on the exterior looks original, has afew blemishes here and there and afew rust spots so nothing was re-painted to conceal damage.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM
TReK

FYI: DAP Enterprise is a Land Rover specific mechanic shop and store for parts. They are just 45 minutes away from where I live so its good to know I have them and Rovers North to turn to in a worst case scenario, seeing how their both right over the border.

Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, confirm that the steering wheel and wheels are out of alignment. In the first pic at the top, the wheels look to be slightly turned to the left and in the second, the steering wheel is a quarter turn to the left.

Double check in person if you can. No sense in wasting time and energy trying to fix something that isn't broken

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I would first look under the hood and all the body seams and bolts, make sure none of them have been removed/ replaced and or repainted.
Then ask him how long the wheel has been that way and was the truck recently aligned?
If all is OK, the steering wheel can be recentered from under the truck working with the tie rod to adjust the wheel to center.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A good alignment shop can fix that for you pretty easy.
Start there once you get her home.
Firestone Service Centers offer a lifetime alignment for one upfront price, it is totally worth the extra money.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 AM
TReK

Thanks guys!!!! Getting this fixed is my first task followed by oil change and check engine light diagnostics.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure why you are waiting to check things like CEL, you want to wait to see what surprises are waiting for you?
Truck may look great but aI would still do a pre=purchase inspection at a Rover shop, especially with that steering wheel so far out.
Remember you will probably have to rebuild or replace the front drive shaft and should look seriously at doing my major service before going wheeling.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing first, check to make sure the steering wheel is straight itself. Take out the airbag and make sure its lined up with the dimple and mark on the steering wheel and shaft. If not put it back. if its on then they probably put the pitman arm incorrectly. If the airbag light is on they broke the airbag recorder. just make sure not to spin the steering wheel too much without the arm on it. To make sure it wasn't installed right turn the wheel to see how many turns you have to go. For example it might be three turns from lock to lock. It should be one and half to the wheels straight ahead. if its only one and two on the other side you can figure out from there where to go. Lift the wheels to do the job. Then you have to align the vehicle. This is something a shop should do cause if you don't have the tools then it will be difficult.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Not sure why you are waiting to check things like CEL, you want to wait to see what surprises are waiting for you?
Truck may look great but aI would still do a pre=purchase inspection at a Rover shop, especially with that steering wheel so far out.
Remember you will probably have to rebuild or replace the front drive shaft and should look seriously at doing my major service before going wheeling.

Mike thanks for the input here. Dont know if you remember or not but Im still making payments on this truck. Truck sits at the sellers house (2.5 hours north) until November 23 when it will be paid off. At the moment I cannot do anything or buy any parts for the truck until the title and keys are in my hand. BUT having looked it over in person and considering all the documented work on the truck Ive decided that it is the right vehicle for me. I know the light is on and the wheels are out of line. Below is the the procedure I plan on following as soon as i get the truck:

1.) Change oil to Royal Purple + over sized oil filter
2.) Fix steering wheel issue
3.) Service check engine light
4.) Replace front and rear drive shafts
5.) Mikes major service guide etc

All these tasks will get done, but like i said I cannot do anything until the end of November. I onl owe another $1,200 before the truck is mine ...

Regarding the airbag. No airbag lights or 3 amigos are illuminated at this time.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TRIARII its a very nice looking truck i bet the anticipation is killing you? Good news is your almost there and its all yours to tinker with. I excited for you!

Quick Reply: Aligning steering wheel with front tires?