Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All '03's have 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Isn't the block the same for 4 and 4.6? Just the crank and pistons/rods are different. 4.6 blocks could be lower quality though, with thinner water jacket walls, as they were near end of production.
Sand cast blocks, right? Pretty minor variances there over time.

For the liners to fit, the cylinder bores are going to be real close to original factory spec.

Sure, tooling and dies and jigs can age and wear, but most of the time that wear reduces the size of the tool so you would expect more clearance between sand-cast block areas versus the milled/drilled areas in the block, I would think.

...and even if there is a case where the coolant or oil tunnels in the block were larger than factory spec (making them closer to the cylinder bore, for example), then those larger coolant passages would yield a cooler running motor which would negate the main problem with Disco motors (overheating).

Well, I could be wrong about all of that, but that's just how I think about things.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I'm won over to the all-metal Cometic head gaskets because really... how the heck can all-metal head gaskets ever blow?! You are removing a weak point.
so what if the engine overheats and the heads warp? Cometic gasket won’t make a difference.

Last edited by abran; 06-16-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Talking

Originally Posted by abran

so what if the engine overheats and the heads warp? Cometic gasket won’t make a difference.
Correct, but your head gaskets won't be torn!

Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Baja

Im going to start by saying I have no engineering background or specific information about Cometic gaskets... but if they are the best thing since sliced bread, why were they phased out?

was Land Rover just incompetent? Did they actually enjoy all the negative feedback composite gaskets brought them? Are they so hell bent on dealing with head gaskets failures that sticking with composite gaskets was OK?

there has to be a reason that are not currently used and are not the gold standard.

That reason is not clear to me, but I’m sure it exists.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:19 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Im going to start by saying I have no engineering background or specific information about Cometic gaskets... but if they are the best thing since sliced bread, why were they phased out?

was Land Rover just incompetent? Did they actually enjoy all the negative feedback composite gaskets brought them? Are they so hell bent on dealing with head gaskets failures that sticking with composite gaskets was OK?

there has to be a reason that are not currently used and are not the gold standard.

Alloy heads and iron blocks = differential expansion rates that aren't absorbed by steel head gaskets, hence composite gaskets absorb more movement laterally and vertically but are prone to failure if overheated. Alu expands at approx twice the rate of iron.

Thermal Expansion Coefficients at 20 C
Material Fractional expansion per degree C x10^-6 Fractional expansion per degree F x10^-6

Aluminum 24 13
Brass 19 11
Copper 17 9.4
Iron 12 6.7

8 more rows
Thermal Expansion Coefficients
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/thexp.html

Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Baja

So can you explain how the above relates to the conversation? I’m not putting 2 and 2 together

Old 06-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the info! I used arp studs when I did the hg's on my current 4.0 and I use studs with engines at work. There's no way I would ever use bolts unless I had to.

I think I get it; MLS is better for iron block/Alum heads bc of the different expansion rates, but not really necessary with alum/alum?

What is this easy-pin job you speak of, by removing the heads? I'm aware of the standard procedure others have used. Is it just better access with things out of the way?

Old 06-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Price.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 AM
Baja

That could be, I guess time will tell if they are better or not.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

The last time Rover recommended the use of the Cometic style of gasket was back in the days when 14 bolts secured the heads to the block. When Rover (1995 for RRC and 1994 for DI if memory serves me) switched to composite gaskets is was to address the perpetual problem of leaks being created towards the back of the heads. There was a third row of four head bolts (with the furthest back bolt being the culprit for leaks all too many times) that were eliminated with the introduction of the composite gasket. At the time, nearly everyone involved with the Rover V8 felt that FINALLY Rover was doing something to address the issue of head gasket leaks. People bitched and moaned about the technique for tightening the new head bolts into place but for the vast majority, the change was viewed as a positive.

Quick Reply: All '03's have 4.6?