Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost new to me d2 need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost new to me d2 need some help

Ok fellows,I need some major help. I am looking at a 2000 D2 with over 112000 miles. I drove this thing and it drives and rides great,but the SES lamp is on so I scanned it and pulled 10 codes as follows

P0174 System to lean bank 2
Po734 Gear 4 incorrect ratio
P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio
P0171 System too lean bank 1
P0161 o2 heater curcit bank 2 sensor 2
P0160 O2 Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
P0141 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P1171 System Too lean, Bank A & Bank B
P1174 Lambda control adaption fault bank 2.Last occurrence - maximum signal
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Now I am thinking that the first step is to check the air filter and make sure there is no Mices home in there,the second step is going to check and or replace the bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor. Then the third step is to check the plug and wire going to Cyl 5. Now this is what is throwing me off what to do for the P0734,P0733,and P1174. I have NO idea of what the service history is so I will do my own and make sure it is done and done the way I want it done
Now I have the chance to won a very nice Disco2 and I cannot wait but My main concern is a Head Gasket with the misfire on cly 5. I know that some of the GM's would set a miss-fire code and have a blown HG (mostly on the 4.6 Northstar Cadi engines).I have never owned a LR but I have always thought they were the best looking 4wd.I have had Landcruisers,4 Runners,Broncos,Tahoes,Suburbans with no real issuses with any of them. I also know that you can't fix one on the internet,but I have read alot about HG's on this forum and I dont want to buy something that I will have to spend another thousand dollars on it.
Now for a couple of other questions.
1) This is the first one I have ever seen with only one sunroof
2) This also has the Automatic Temp Control what issuses do I need to look for
3) I know that it has had a front u-joint replaced for a knocking noise do I need to replace the rest of the joints?
4) From what I have read reliability seems to be ok,but I am hoping to get atleast another 100000 miles out of is this possible?

I hate to ask so many questions but the way that everything cost so much and I am on a limited budget I just don't want to pay 3000 and have a moneypit.
Any help from you guys would be great

Thanks
Jeff

P0141O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The incorrect gear ratio faults are for a bad MAF.
That can also set off the other codes.
If you buy it, replace the MAF, clear the codes and see what comes back.
The HVAC panel with revert to "C" if the battery goes dead or is unhooked.
If you cannot do 90% of the repairs yourself it will be a money pit.
Remember that gas is expected to hit $6.00 a gall this summer and these things require premium gas.
The rear O2's do nothing, so unless you are getting a code for them as non responsive, leave them alone.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Most Used Disco's purchased rapidly go through the "first" thousand dollars owners had budgetted for repairs. If you can't afford DIY repairs, then this is not the truck for you. A set of tires will run a good part of that thousand.

If the drive shafts have plenty of grease fittings and you keep the lubed, no reason to change anything else.

Other owners have posted about mile into the 240,000 range.

Maybe you would like to have an indy mechanic look it over, an hour of his time could save big $$. Another thing to look at is any overheating (uses data reading code scanner for coolant temp), you could also buy a $50 chemical test from parts store that tests a sample of hot coolant for exhaust gas in coolat (head gaskets). Does maybe 15 tests.

Many forum members became owners after lusting for a Disco; found out how expesnive they are to have repaired by dealers, and became owner/mechanics to maintain fiscal sanity. Every man can use a hobby.

The automatic control has a 32 step fan speed control that sometimes burns out the transistor driver for the fan. Other than that you'll be swapping out a module from a salvage yard or a dismantler on the forum. You can download the RAVE, which is the factory service and owner's manual, link below.

As far as one sunroof, you are blessed, I have none and am glad of it.

As for prices, negotiate hard. Head gasket at a dealer could be over $4000. Indy shop $1700. Your garage $300 with another $200 for machine shop. Use www.statewidelist.com to search all of craigslist for Rover for your state, outputs by metro area, so you can see prices out there.

The dirty MAF sounds like some of your codes.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Also if you have a bad exhaust leak it can send the O2 Sensors crazy.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Drifting

I am a retired GM/Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Service manager. So I have no problems doing 90% of the work. I just don't have the space to do the big stuff like HG's. The same goes with the Landcruisers,if you work on them it does save a whole lot of green.
If it was not for these forums alot of people would be broke having go back to a Dealer or Indy to spen money that is not needed. I know I have seen very well trained techs just start throwing parts on a car until they got lucky and it fixes the issue.The internet is full of great forums,AS IS THIS A GREAT FORUM! I know that almost everything out there cost money to operate and that does not bother me. I was just concerned when I saw the 3/4 gear ratio codes and the P0305.So how many people with even a moderate idea of auto's would think the MAF would set the gear codes.
I really think that the one that I have found is in great condition besides the few codes and some small cosmetic items. The main reason for this Rover is in-town and very few road trips. Most of the time we take our Accord.
SO if I replace or first clean the Maf that should take care of the gear codes. After that just clear the codes and drive to see what other codes might come up correct?
Again I would like to Thank All of the people on these forums,and if was not for you I don't know what some of us would do!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree, clean or replace the MAF, but those o2 heater codes will likely also require replacement unless they are somehow historical and have already been replaced.

Last edited by jafir; 04-08-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Here is a tip for you once you get your Disco, take the Disco on the road trips and drive the Honda around town, seriously.
The Disco is going to get HORRIBLE MPG in town, like single digits to 12mpg if you are lucky, these trucks love to drink BUT get them on the highway, set the cruise at 65mph, windows up and a/c on you are looking at a nice smooth quiet comfortable 18-20mpg, maybe even more depending on how well tuned it is, the tires you have, tire PSI etc.
For your climate Shell Rotella 15w-40 or Castrol 20w-50 are both oils to use in these engines.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Ok so I finally got this 2000 Disco II and I LOVE IT. So I have cleared all the codes that was in it. Cleaned the MAF and pulled the #5 spark plug which is a NGK platnium. While I was looking around I found that the noise baffle in the tube from the MAF to the Throttle body was gone. There is a 2" hole that was in the bottom of the tube and it was not visible just looking around. So I have put some duct tape on it (temporary fix). I have been on a short test drive and no SES lamp. The only thing that bothers me is it feels as if there is a slight miss when you get above idle. Now being this is the newer OBD2 and I correct that if this is a miss-fire the PCM should set the light as soon as you would start it? I do plan on changing the plugs to a set of Champions Copper Plus.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It may take a few times for the misfire will generate an active code. It could be there as a pending code. Do you have an OBDII scanner?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

No the MIL will not come on right away, it depends on the severity of the problem.
It usually takes several hundred miles to set off the MIL.

Quick Reply: Almost new to me d2 need some help