Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "3 Amigos" Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "3 Amigos" Question

I have searched the forums and have seen many posts in regards to the 3 Amigos. I have a slight twist to the question, so figured I might as well ask.

I have a 2000 DII that I recently replaced all 4 rotors and pads using a rebuild kit from Atlantic British. After performing the work, two things happened.

One after only a few hours of driving, the brakes began to squal loudly when stopping, not cold mind you, but after repeated stops and the rotors are warm ...

And two, about 2 days after replacement, while coming to a stop, I got the bing, bing, bing, bing and the 3 Amigos reared their head!

Soooooo ... after reading the posts, I went back through each wheel, removed the sensor, cleaned it (they werent dirty) and reinstalled. Unfortunatly, lights still illuminated (not surprising and I understand they have to be reset). In addition, now under heavy braking, the brake light will illuminate along with the light to the right of the downhill light. So to say the least, if I hit the brakes rather hard after driving for a bit, I scare the little old ladies at the corner and get a face full of dash lights.

Any thoughts on whether I could have done something incorrect in my brake work to cause the problem, is there any suggested resolution (to both the lights, symptoms, and squeal), and finally, anyone have a recommendation as to a place in or near Atlanta that can test and reset the codes (last trip to the dealer cost me $150 to tell me I had a bad spark plug wire and they were kind enough to include a list of $4500 in parts they also felt needed replacement).

Oh and one last thing, bought the shuttle valve replacement kit from Atlantic British as well, but hesitant to install if not necessary as well the need to peform bleeding using test tool (which I of course dont have).

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Another "3 Amigos" Question

Sure, you either put on cheap pads and or didn't use sound deadening material on the backing plates, they will make lots of noise and drive your ECU crazy.
Remove the pads, install lots of sound deadening material, reinstall and drive. If they are now quiet then go spend the big bucks and have some small shop, not the dealer, read and clear the codes.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your brake light came on, did you check the fluid level?
Are your pads seated correctly? Did you put the anti-squel on them?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you bleed and flush your brake fluid? If your brake light, not abs comes on when braking hard, you are low on fluid and maybe have air trapped in the system.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:12 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake pads installed were the Delphi Lockheed ones from Atlantic British, however did NOT put any anti-squeal on them .. any recommendations for brand/type/source for anti-squeal?

I did bleed all 4 corners after installation, in fact flushed as well each corner until clear fluid (and yes I did make sure I kept the reservoir full while I did it).

3 Amigos always on, brake light only comes on after hard braking and will go off with next key cycle.

Thanks again ....