Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Key FOB thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Another Key FOB thread...

So when I bought the car it came with one broken FOB (missing buttons and entire circuit board) and one new FOB that didn't work. I have no idea if it's OEM or one of the eBay ones that is known to not work. I opened it up to look for the six digit code on the circuit board but all i found was this six digit code on the housing. Does anyone know if this is the correct code you need for the Nanocom to program it?

Old 01-11-2023, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

"CR2023" is the battery type, not the code. You need at least the 6 digit code for programming. It comes with the fob on a separate sticker (it's a longer code and the 6 digit code is just part of it).

I had never success with ebay fobs, but someone found out that these ebay fobs work after upgrading to the latest Nanocon firmware (which was released just a few months ago).

Old 01-11-2023, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Ahh gocha. So if the sticker isn't present is there a way to get the number or am I SOL on this fob?

Old 01-11-2023, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Without the 6-digit code you can't program it. You can only reuse the battery and the push button switches for repair of another fob.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

That circuit board looks a lot like the knock off one that came with my latest D2. No joy on programming it. I believe the key (no pun intended) is the frequency of the transmitter to make it work.

This is what the circuit board looked like in the one I got:

I tried every code I could find and nothing worked.

This is a link to one I think that can work according to a thread here if you didn’t want to pay the man for an OEM one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40362835868...mis&media=COPY

Old 01-11-2023, 09:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Darn. Guess I'm out of luck on this one. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by longtallsally
That circuit board looks a lot like the knock off one that came with my latest D2. No joy on programming it. I believe the key (no pun intended) is the frequency of the transmitter to make it work.
There are 433Mhz and 315Mhz versions. If you have an SDR (USB dongle) you can easily test what version you have. I even tested with a scope the output of the receiver and the Fob generated clean 1s and 0s in it, but the Nanocom couldn't detect it. I need to try again with the firmware upgrade.

Did you try with the latest nanocom firmware update?

Old 01-11-2023, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling

This is what the circuit board looked like in the one I got:

This is a link to one I think that can work according to a thread here if you didn’t want to pay the man for an OEM one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40362835868...mis&media=COPY
That does look extremely similar to mine... Thanks for the ebay link! I might check that out and see if it works.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
There are 433Mhz and 315Mhz versions. If you have an SDR (USB dongle) you can easily test what version you have. I even tested with a scope the output of the receiver and the Fob generated clean 1s and 0s in it, but the Nanocom couldn't detect it. I need to try again with the firmware upgrade.

Did you try with the latest nanocom firmware update?
When was the FW update and what is the version? I got my Nanocom somewhere in May of last year. I can’t check the FW version right now, but this is something I’d be willing to test out.

But even with the FW update, doesn’t it still boil down to the frequency of the transmitter and receiver? And if they aren’t the same aren’t they still trying to speak apples and oranges to each other- regardless if the Nanocom sees the fob?

EDIT: I just went to the BBS site and it looks like the latest (and I don’t even think it’s one that impacts the D2) was in 2020, so I’m pretty sure I have the latest FW version?

Edit to the EDIT: I’m dumb, I think there might be a FW update from March that I don’t know if it was loaded on to my device that specifically addresses key programming stuff. I’ll check my version tomorrow. However, my original question stands: won’t the different frequencies still not allow it to work?

Last edited by longtallsally; 01-11-2023 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

@longtallsally read this -> https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ork-do-115414/

My firmware is older. As soon I have time for it I upgrade and then will try with an e-bay fob which I have laying around. Will report here.

There are only two frequencies used: 315MHz (NAS models), 433MHz (rest of the world). If you get a 315MHz fob then it will work with the factory receiver in the D2 (assuming you have a NAS model).

Quick Reply: Another Key FOB thread...