Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another misfire thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it's got SAI. I've already ordered new gaskets and head bolts. I'm going to tear into it this weekend and will report back. I'm stocked up on beer and rum. Happy Father's Day to me!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jobooth
Yeah it's got SAI. I've already ordered new gaskets and head bolts. I'm going to tear into it this weekend and will report back. I'm stocked up on beer and rum. Happy Father's Day to me!
Ah. My only SAI experience is removing it from an engine. We will be celebrating Father's day in similar fashion.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Three Wheeling

UPDATE: head gaskets were in good shape. No pistons were 'steam cleaned'. I've got it all back together and it seems to be running worse. Rough low idle that. The SES light flashes sometimes when the engine is vibrating. I'm getting misfires on 3, 5, 8. I watched the live data on my scan tool and when the SES light is flashing, it's reporting an 'OL-FAULT' on fuel system 1 and 2. When the SES light stops flashing, fuel system 1 and 2 go to 'OL' and things seem to smooth out except for a low rough idle.

What's 'OL-FAULT' mean? Fuel pump? ECU? MAF? I've cleaned and tested all the injectors and put new filter baskets, o-rings, o-ring retainers on them. No leaks. Valves looked good. Very minimal carbon build up. The internals were clean and in good shape. Lifters and rods were in good shape, clean and smooth. I've hunted around with my propane torch and can't find any leaks in the vacuum lines. New plugs, wires, coils. I'm stumped.

Last edited by jobooth; 06-24-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was chasing a similar problem, which was the result of multiple issues. You have done the hard parts. I suggest you look at the easy parts as well.
-check the ground wires, you should have at least one running from the engine block to the fire wall. Mine is attached to a valve cover bolt on the drivers side.
-check the MAF, if it's not working properly it will generate all sorts of issues with the fuel mix.
-check the knock sensors and their wiring. A lot of people monkey with these, apparently there was some advice out there on how to alter them to improve gas mileage.
-check the crank sensor, again if it's faulty the engine won't run properly.
-check the fuel cap, believe it or not, it can generate all sorts of problems
-finally, make sure you have a good strong battery and alternator output. Both of these cause the engine to malfunction because of low voltage and circuit failures across all of the sensors.

My issues turned out to be a combination of all of the above. It was neither cheap, nor quick to fix, you just have to keep after it. But, seriously, the most simple things can create all sort of issues, and before you pull out the fuel pump you should try the easy things, if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

UPDATE: head gaskets were in good shape. No pistons were 'steam cleaned'. I've got it all back together and it seems to be running worse. Rough low idle that. The SES light flashes sometimes when the engine is vibrating. I'm getting misfires on 3, 5, 8. I watched the live data on my scan tool and when the SES light is flashing, it's reporting an 'OL-FAULT' on fuel system 1 and 2. When the SES light stops flashing, fuel system 1 and 2 go to 'OL' and things seem to smooth out except for a low rough idle.

What's 'OL-FAULT' mean? Fuel pump? ECU? MAF? I've cleaned and tested all the injectors and put new filter baskets, o-rings, o-ring retainers on them. No leaks. Valves looked good. Very minimal carbon build up. The internals were clean and in good shape. Lifters and rods were in good shape, clean and smooth. I've hunted around with my propane torch and can't find any leaks in the vacuum lines. New plugs, wires, coils. I'm stumped.
OL means open loop. It should only be in open loop when the engine is cold and when you're past a certain throttle position. (And of course when there's a fault!)
It just means that the ECU is not using data from the oxygen sensors.

Last edited by disc oh no; 06-27-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

OL means open loop. It should only be in open loop when the engine is cold and when you're past a certain throttle position.
Should read or when you're past a certain throttle position.

Last edited by number9; 06-25-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling

UPDATE: I tried a generic remanufactured MAF. It was the only one in stock quickly accessible. It made no difference. Do you think I should try an OEM MAF or replace the ECU? The fuel trims vary greatly as you can see. I'm still seeing misfires on 5 and 8 when I hit the throttle. It's idling pretty rough too.

Here's a vid of my live data.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=...CvaXJnROMPwgAw

FWIW I also tried it with the MAF unplugged and got the exactly same behavior. I think I'm going after the ECU next.

Last edited by jobooth; 06-25-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Those fuel trims are doing some weird things!
I would do a leak down test. I just had a very similar problem on a Hummer H3. One cylinder was showing a misfire and it had weird looking fuel trims. The valves in all five cylinders were leaking, but it still drove completely normal.

Last edited by disc oh no; 06-27-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Turns out that bolt did more damage than I thought. Failed compression on #5. Bent valve.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Turns out that bolt did more damage than I thought. Failed compression on #5. Bent valve.
That's what I thought it looked like. That sucks! Still better than a cracked block though!

Quick Reply: Another misfire thread