Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another misfire thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:34 PM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

You don't seem to have ruled out vacuum leaks or loose/corroded ground connections.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
If you have a scan tool with live data, I would check out the fuel trims to determine what type of misfire it is. That should give you some good direction.
Can you expand on this?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Can you expand on this?
As an example, if your fuel trim indicates that one bank is being fed 20% rich, while the other is -2%, the 20% bank has a problem with fuel delivery on one or more cylinders. If a bank is being trimmed lean(say -15%), you have a problem with unburned fuel going to the cats, and likely an ignition problem, or a sticking injector. Any trims between -3% and +3% are pretty acceptable/normal. The closer to zero, the better, obviously.

Long term fuel trim is more useful than short term here. Short term will register spikes in response to throttle application, which are useful for certain diagnostics, but not misfires like OP is indicting.

When I'm looking at diagnostics like this, I just use the Torque Pro app on my phone to graph real-time, then export for later comparison/analysis on the desktop.

Last edited by squirt; 06-07-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by squirt
As an example, if your fuel trim indicates that one bank is being fed 20% rich, while the other is -2%, the 20% bank has a problem with fuel delivery on one or more cylinders. If a bank is being trimmed lean(say -15%), you have a problem with unburned fuel going to the cats, and likely an ignition problem, or a sticking injector. Any trims between -3% and +3% are pretty acceptable/normal. The closer to zero, the better, obviously.

Long term fuel trim is more useful than short term here. Short term will register spikes in response to throttle application, which are useful for certain diagnostics, but not misfires like OP is indicting.

When I'm looking at diagnostics like this, I just use the Torque Pro app on my phone to graph real-time, then export for later comparison/analysis on the desktop.
Very helpful for future reference! . Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
garrddogg (06-27-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Pull 5 & 8 in the morning before startup.
smell them
taste the tip.

ANTIFREEZE SMELL AND TASTE??

Old 06-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try replacing the MAF

I am wrestling with the same issue, 2004 Disco 2, 125K miles. It seems like each thing I try makes the situation a little bit better, the biggest impact I got was from replacing the MAF. I ordered an after market part off of Amazon (believe it or not) and it was only $35. I figured if it didn't help I'd just put the original back on and keep it as a spare. The new MAF dramatically improved the hesitation. I'm still getting codes, but I feel like I'm 90% to a solution. I had cleaned the old MAF twice and it looked fine, but it was not.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

What codes are you getting? That will help the forum make some edjamacated guesses.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE: I pulled all the plugs and tested the compression. Cylinders 5 and 8 are VERY low. I couldn't even get a reading on cylinder 5. Looks like it's time to check out the head gaskets. I've also had a slow coolant leak for a few months and could not find out where it was going. Guess we'll find out soon enough. I'm gonna start tearing it apart. I'll update when I find out WTF is going on.

FYI for a previous post... The vacuum tubes are all good and I replaced the battery/starter leads last year.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jobooth
UPDATE: I pulled all the plugs and tested the compression. Cylinders 5 and 8 are VERY low. I couldn't even get a reading on cylinder 5. Looks like it's time to check out the head gaskets. I've also had a slow coolant leak for a few months and could not find out where it was going. Guess we'll find out soon enough. I'm gonna start tearing it apart. I'll update when I find out WTF is going on.

FYI for a previous post... The vacuum tubes are all good and I replaced the battery/starter leads last year.
Oh dear.

If you are losing coolant, don't see any on the ground, have low pressure on certain cylinders, and have rough starts in the morning, you almost surely have a head gasket leak (I won't even mention the other possibility). You will probably find that 5 and 8 are your cleanest cylinders (having been steamed cleaned). You should be able to tell that by comparing those spark plugs to the others or raising those cylinders and peering in through the spark plug hole. But, regardless, with super low compression the heads will have to come off ) (because the components of compression are rings, valves, and head gaskets--and no cracks anywhere--none of which can be examined and fixed with heads on), which means that you will have to replace the head gaskets (can't be reused) and head bolts (I have reused them but everyone else says that's a no no--I got ARP studs so I didn't have to lie about buying bolts).

Do you have SAI? If not, you can be staring into the cylinders in full sunlight in a three hours or so with tools handy.

Okay, I just registered "I'm going to start tearing it apart," so you don't need any encouragement! HAHA... Oh well. GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Very helpful for future reference! . Thanks!
Me too!

Quick Reply: Another misfire thread