Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another vibration thread - with nuances

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another vibration thread - with nuances

Hi there,

First post here.

I have a 2003 Discovery II. I've replaced rotors and pads, put on a 2" terrafirma suspension lift (terrafirma springs and shocks), terrafirma steering damper, new steel bumpers and winch, tom woods HD front driveshaft, added front output housing from an '04 transfer case to enable CDL, and replaced all differential and transfer case fluids.

To the problem: After reading the horror stories about the front drive shaft, I upgraded from the drive shaft that was on the truck when i bought it (DID have serviceable u-joints on it) to a new HD Tom Woods front prop shaft from Lucky8. I had massive vibrations from 30-50mph, dissipated a bit over 50mph and then came back again around 70mph.

What I did:

1. I removed the tom woods shaft, locked the CDL and drove around with just the rear shaft - the vibration went away.
2. I greased the hell out of the tom woods shaft, put it back on - vibration still there. Measured the shaft angle and the pinion angle and it was within 3 degrees.
3. I took the tom woods shaft off, put the original back on - vibration dramatically reduced, but still very subtly there from 30-50mph.

Is there anything other than the (two) drive shafts that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-2019, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

i have a 2003 d2 myself. i also have a '99 d2 with the cdl. i have therefore read up on making the change so that i can have the lock function on my newer truck.
there have been a few strong suggestions to imply that just changing the output housing on the transfer case can leave you with some misaligned internal parts. the things i have read suggest that you should switch out the entire transfer case instead.
since you only changed the output section, perhaps this is the source of your vibration given that it's still present even with the stock shaft.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Does the vibration go away while driving at hwy speeds and turning?

How old are your wheel hubs?

I was in the same boat as you - thought i had a bad front shaft, removed it and did 2wd for a few weeks and vibration went away. Got new shaft and vibration came back but goes away when turning at speed.

Gonna order new hubs in the next few days!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't go away with turning. Any chance caster corrected radius arms are needed to adjust the pinion angle?

Old 02-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Yeah, its probably related to the lift/pinion angle but also the more extreme driveshaft angle. You might start with a driveshaft balance check, good local driveshaft should be able to do that. My daughter always complained about how her Disco vibrated when she drove over 70 - my response was always "Don't do that, it's not a car, its a Disco". Do you really offroad enough you need the 2" lift?