Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Theft / Horn intermittent issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anti-Theft / Horn intermittent issue

Hi all, I'm new around her, but I'm hoping you guys can help out with an issue. We have a '04 Discovery 2 that we've had for just under 2 month and this morning we had an issue with it.

Out of no where, with the truck just sitting in the driveway and the house waking up the horn just started going off. I grabbed the keys and ran out and hit the unlock button and opened the door and it shut off.

It sat for about 90 minutes before my wife got in to drive away. Then pulling out of the drive it started going again but intermittent, not just solid on like it was the first time. My wife said the anit-theft light was coming on the same time as the horn.

I haven't had a chance to look into this yet but I suspect it is a lose wire. Does this make sense? Any hints for a wire to look for? Color, connector, location, etc? I'm guessing it is something in the steering column, or under the dash, as opposed to under the hood.

Other details:
- the truck has an after market radio in it. I'm not sure if they are on the same circuit or related but after looking through the forums here it seems they are.
- it was cold this morning. about 15 degrees. I'm in MA so the cold is starting. I think it was the coldest the truck has been so far.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem in the past and after checking everything I could think of (searching for loose wires, etc...) it turned out to be a battery with low voltage.

The battery was not low enough to cause the vehicle to not start but it was low enough to cause intermittent security system issues.

I put a new battery in and have not had the issue even once since.

I would get your battery tested accurately and try to swap out the battery first and see if this solves your issue.

Seems to me that these trucks are very sensative to low voltage conditions.

I could be totally off base with this but I thought it might help.