Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any body who used Harbor Freight Oil Pressure gauge on D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any body who used Harbor Freight Oil Pressure gauge on D2

I am getting the oil pressure gauge from harbor freight. I read some where that I might need another adaptor to be able to attach it to D2, can some body tell me what size adapter I will need, if at all, and where to get it?
The second question is: The bolt holding the oil pressure switch is big, I think I might need a 20mm wrange, is that correct? I don't have one that big and have to also get one from some where.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have this guage and it came with the fitting that worked on my 03

Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, is the pressure sensor bolt 20mm?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I have that gauge and I had to buy a 1/2 X 20 adapter in the blister pack aisle of the auto parts store. Take gauge kit with you to match up the small adapters.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Overlanding

If you are referring to the plug that you remove to install the oil pressure gauge, it is 22mm. You can drill through the plug and thread it to 1/8 NPT (if your sending unit threaded the same as mine. Or you can buy an adapter that the sending unit will screw into and the adapter screws into where the plug was.

Here is a link to the writeup that I followed, only I used a single pod gauge and a cyberdyne green gauge:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...isco-ii-33978/

Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Kingmarine
If you are referring to the plug that you remove to install the oil pressure gauge, it is 22mm. You can drill through the plug and thread it to 1/8 NPT (if your sending unit threaded the same as mine. Or you can buy an adapter that the sending unit will screw into and the adapter screws into where the plug was./
Thank you for the reply, I am not planning on a permanent oil pressure gauge install yet. I have the notorious Tick, when the car is warm and just wanted to check oil pressure to make sure my oil pump is ok. I got the SunPro gauge from Autozone but did not have a large enough wrench to unbolt the current oil pressure switch and after reading here, it looks like the SunPro mechanical gauge might not be very acurate so will get the Harbor Freight one and just attach it to the current position of the oil pressure switch and measure my oil pressure. I will probable get both 20 and 22mmm wrenches and hope that one will fit.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

I was referring to thread pitch of the adapter, not wrench size, sorry.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A 15/16" wrench will work.

I'd trust the Sun long before I'd trust the H-F.

Remove one of the plugs, drill/tap for 1/8" NPTF and be done with it, thus retaining your light and adding a gauge.

Be aware that quite often, the oil pump gears can be in pieces and still generate acceptable pressure once the engine is started. The low pressure and oil starvation issues are at start-up.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Pix of cracked pump.

Attached Thumbnails Any body who used Harbor Freight Oil Pressure gauge on D2-pump.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesnt a cracked pump also have problems making proper pressure at 2000rpm as well?

Lots of things can cause engine tick, one possibility is the liners are loose and ticking around. This only happens when hot and at idle. But, checking the oil pressure is the best place to start in tracing down a tick, it will at least eliminate the possibility of causing more damage vs just a loose liner which causes annoyance.

Quick Reply: Any body who used Harbor Freight Oil Pressure gauge on D2