Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any hope for these headlights or nah?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any hope for these headlights or nah?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Mudding

1) Visibly no scratches or cracks
2) Passenger side headlight has water
3) Connections are *bad* (I guess???) - the headlights just popped out, I didn't even unscrew anything.
4) They would cost me ~$80 for both to obtain

Old 07-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Man I gotta ask. Based on your name I assume you do this for a living and more power to ya. I need parts once in awhile and will put you on my list. But do you own a disco? Seems like a week ago you decided to jump in with both feet

Old 07-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by zuke
Man I gotta ask. Based on your name I assume you do this for a living and more power to ya. I need parts once in awhile and will put you on my list. But do you own a disco? Seems like a week ago you decided to jump in with both feet
Sure man, whatever you need - let me know.

I am an engineering intern but I like to go to junkyards on a scavenger hunt - makes me feel good lol plus extra $ is never a bad thing

I do not own a disco just yet. Still considering, d2 is one heck of a sick truck

Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default List

Ok. I got a few of them. I will put together a list of stuff I need and pm it to you

Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

One of those lights looks fine, but the one with moisture in it is a no go. Also 80.00 for the pair is 30.00 to much. They shouldn't be more than 25.00 each. The only thing I'd grab off of those D1/D2 lights is the rubber ring that helps keep crap out.

When getting junk yard LR parts you gotta know exactly what you looking for or you can just be tossing $$$ out the window.

Hobby wise you honestly can find better vehicles to grab stuff off of that you can sell to mulitple car makers like GMC, Chevy, Cadillac where the parts span across several different models making it quicker/easier to sell. LR wise people use Will, Abran, or Paul for their used LR needs where they're in the business of parting LR's for years and have excellent quality/tested parts.

Not here to burst your bubble, but just trying to save ya $$$$ in the long run. I grab parts for friends, or fixing up friends LR's, but I'm not gonna go make a career out of it.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I said it in a previous thread, if you are willing to do the work those headlights can be fixed. Look up how to bake a headlight, you will probably find the steps on the Subaru forums.

In a nutshell, warm the oven up (don't recall exact temp but, I believe it is 175).

Pop the headlight in for 10 to 15 minutes, get (2) flathead screwdrivers

When the bonding agent is hot enough, pop out the lenses and clean it up. Repeat the baking process to put back together.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I said it in a previous thread, if you are willing to do the work those headlights can be fixed. Look up how to bake a headlight, you will probably find the steps on the Subaru forums.

In a nutshell, warm the oven up (don't recall exact temp but, I believe it is 175).

Pop the headlight in for 10 to 15 minutes, get (2) flathead screwdrivers

When the bonding agent is hot enough, pop out the lenses and clean it up. Repeat the baking process to put back together.
Moisture will remove the silver reflective paint/coating on the light. Thats the big issue. Even if you remove the moisture (easy to do without tearing it apart) you'll have a light with horrible light output.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
One of those lights looks fine, but the one with moisture in it is a no go. Also 80.00 for the pair is 30.00 to much. They shouldn't be more than 25.00 each. The only thing I'd grab off of those D1/D2 lights is the rubber ring that helps keep crap out.

When getting junk yard LR parts you gotta know exactly what you looking for or you can just be tossing $$$ out the window.

Hobby wise you honestly can find better vehicles to grab stuff off of that you can sell to mulitple car makers like GMC, Chevy, Cadillac where the parts span across several different models making it quicker/easier to sell. LR wise people use Will, Abran, or Paul for their used LR needs where they're in the business of parting LR's for years and have excellent quality/tested parts.

Not here to burst your bubble, but just trying to save ya $$$$ in the long run. I grab parts for friends, or fixing up friends LR's, but I'm not gonna go make a career out of it.
They are $33 in my junkyard (each headlight). Huh then I guess I made the right call by not taking them.

And yes, I am aware of that. I work mostly with BMWs, Jaguars, and LR. Haven't touched the American cars just yet - need to do more research. It's not really a career for me, just a hobby that mades me an extra buck. So far I have had only 1 major failure - D2 headlight (barely sold for a break-even price after a month of having it). Everything else sells eventually. Hustle harder, live happier

Old 07-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

$33 per headlight seems steep. I just got a D2 back seat(the 60 and the 40), door seals, D2 Cruise Control ECU, and some switches for $55 from my junkyard.
Your junkyard's prices don't leave any meat on tha bone for you to resell, especially after shipping.
You're better off buying a whole truck for ~$500 than reselling junkyard parts. Once you sell a few big items and make your initial investment back the rest is gravy. You're currently doing all the work(removing parts) for a fraction of the reward.

Quick Reply: Any hope for these headlights or nah?