Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?

03 Discovery 80,000 miles. 4.6 lt, Mint condition. However havn't heard it run. Doesn't have any spark, looked hard and don't see anywhere to check if the fuel rail has fuel or not? I did get ahead of myself and installed a New Fuel Pump. Doesn't even fire, turns over fine though.
I did fool with the shut off switch on Passenger side on firewall, no difference.
So what Im hoping is that someone can guide me of what is the right thing to do next? Im not familiar with the OBD testers, so hoping what I've posted will be clear to others who do know!
thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?-2015-feb-18-054.jpg   Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?-2015-feb-18-053.jpg   Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?-2015-feb-18-055.jpg   Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?-2015-feb-18-056.jpg   Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?-2015-feb-18-057.jpg  

Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?-2015-feb-18-058.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You need to read the actual trouble codes, not just the live data. They will look like "P-0xxx" with the xxx being numbers. like P0302 means misfire on 2.

Once you have these codes, google or search on here.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Overlanding

Check the "RPM" data stream on the scanner while you are cranking it. If it reads zero you most likely need a new crankshaft position sensor.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
You need to read the actual trouble codes, not just the live data. They will look like "P-0xxx" with the xxx being numbers. like P0302 means misfire on 2.

Once you have these codes, google or search on here.
x1 all of those photos are just live data info. You need to run defect codes, clear them all, re-run the truck and then see whether they re-appear. Then post the codes here on the forum for someone to assist.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:16 AM
8th Gear
Default Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?

thanks guys, I'll fool around some more, the OBD displayed "no codes found" so that was very puzzling. But I'll try again.
I've read about others having issues with their Crank Positioning Sensor. So I jacked it up , crawled underneath and didn't see where it is? I saw one video that showed it by the R motormount, then in a manual, was saying its by or around the torquenverter cover. Didn't see it, so may not have been looking in the proper manual ?
Will try again, and will look into ordering the CPS
thanks

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Is your check engine light on? If not you probably dont have any codes. The crankshaft sensor is on the opposite side of the engine as the starter. You'll see a bulge with two bolts and a wire coming out and going up behind the exhaust. Read the other threads on how to replace and be sure to keep the spacer in the correct place as it came out.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MervK
thanks guys, I'll fool around some more, the OBD displayed "no codes found" so that was very puzzling. But I'll try again.
I've read about others having issues with their Crank Positioning Sensor. So I jacked it up , crawled underneath and didn't see where it is? I saw one video that showed it by the R motormount, then in a manual, was saying its by or around the torquenverter cover. Didn't see it, so may not have been looking in the proper manual ?
Will try again, and will look into ordering the CPS
thanks

Sent you a PM regarding this

Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

There should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail, or a cap covering the valve. Looks like a tire valve. If you depress the center pin while covering it with a rag, you should get some fuel spraying out.

otherwise, have someone turn on the ignition switch while you are in the back and listen for the fuel pump to run. it only runs for about 10 seconds when you turn the key, and then stops. Mine had problems with the fuel cutoff wires going to the switch under the hood on the firewall. You should see 12volts on one of the wires. The other one goes back to the fuel pump.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check fuel pressure as suggested and see if your scanner is picking up a change in rpms as you crank it. you must use your meter your dash tach will not will for this.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fuel rail and see if you pressure (wear goggles) and check for spark, however, if it cranks and doesn't have any codes more likely CPS

Quick Reply: Any mechanics know how to read OBD ?