Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on engine part quality (Britpart, Allmake, Bearmach, Turner)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any thoughts on engine part quality (Britpart, Allmake, Bearmach, Turner)?

I am preparing to rebuild a 2002 D2 engine. I was planning on using Turner Engineering parts, but became aware of lrdirect.com parts. They offer different price levels of parts. Generally, Britpart as the cheapest manufacturer, Bearmach and Allmakes in the middle and rover parts as the most expensive.

For just one example. Turner piston ring set is approximately $195. lrdirect.com Britpart is aproximately $65.

I do not want to go cheap on parts, but do not want to pay extra for comparable quality parts (especially if they are all manufactured by the same plant and stamped by different distributors) or purchase parts that are going to outlast everything else in the vehicle by years.

Does anyone have experience with this issue that they will share?

The following users liked this post:
Toms (07-09-2020)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'll put it in a rating system, all to scale -

Genuine
Turner
Allmakes(could be a different supplier, but I'm judging by PR2)
Bearmach
'.
Britpart

Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

x1
go ahead and take britpart off the table. not worth the gamble

Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out Quality Land Rover Parts Spares and Accessories Online I found them to be the cheapest shipped when I bought rocker shafts and arms last summer. I paid via paypal and it came across as Allmakes. They carry Allmakes (standard and PR2 grades) and genuine.

Their price on the PR2 Rings are £16 ($25.19). They indicate that they are Federal Mogul rings. The Genuine rings are £34.12 ($53.72). Prices are plus shipping.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Overlanding

ZG Photo,

Thank you for the input. Do you have any feel as to what kind of wear I could expect from a set of Allmake's rings vs. Turner's?

To all,

Here is a link to Lrdirect's ring prices that I used as an example. Are rings a good example for this discussion or would I need to look at each part individually?

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the linked lrdirect OEM BearMach rings and the Bearmach brand? Any difference in Allmakes brand vs the PR2 made by Allmakes?

I may just go with Turner to avoid any worry, but would I be wasting money? Would the Allmake's rings at 1/2 the cost of Turner last 100k miles, 200K? All other things being equal, if the difference is 100k vs 200 or 300K for Turner's I need to decide If I am going to keep the truck for years. If it is 200K for Allmakes vs. 300K for Turner's I doubt the truck will last long enough, or I will keep it long enough, to justify the difference in part cost.

I tend to agree with some post that I have read on the forum that suggest that people should consider what is practical vs. what is ideal or overkill.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Overlanding

Acamato,

Thank you for the other source. I have not compared w/ shipping, but the rings were about $10 cheaper at your source vs. lrdirect.

To All,

For peace of mind, I will take Britpart off the table. The discussion becomes Turner at $195 or standard Allmake at $85. The premium PR2 by Allmake appear to be more expensive than Turner.

Last edited by utah95; 11-13-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by utah95
I tend to agree with some post that I have read on the forum that suggest that people should consider what is practical vs. what is ideal or overkill.

kind of an oxymoron = a US land rover owner giving advice on practicality.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Overlanding

Dusty1,

I know, but some of us still like to delude ourselves into believing we are practical. My $2500 D2 will definitely be worth at least $6,000 once I spend my time and a minimum of $1500-$2000 in parts rebuilding the engine.

I almost thought "what am I doing?" when I started writing this reply. Then I remembered I am going with the "it's a lot better than a car payment on a $40K SUV" argument. Now I feel better.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

well do me a favor and post up any good deal findings as I am doing an engine build also. mostly performance junk going into mine, but I happened upon a couple of things...
genuine lr rocker arms are less than $10 a pop at partsgeek.
some sbc valves are the same as rover ones and cheaper
good package deals at rimmer bros on engine parts

Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Agreed on the poor quality from Britpart. I bought a rear driveshaft and the T-joint top coolant hoses earlier this year from a US supplier who stocks Britpart. Both had to be thrown away. The design and fit/finish was poor.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on engine part quality (Britpart, Allmake, Bearmach, Turner)?