Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to carry a winch without a new bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to carry a winch without a new bumper?

Just wanted to know, is there any way to be able to carry a winch when off-roading, without having to change bumpers?

I'm new to this, and want to start off on some light trails (logging roads, dirt roads, well worn ATV/Truck trails, etc.) But, I think it would be prudent to have a winch, particularly if I'm out there without another vehicle around.

I wouldn't want to spent the time/money/etc to put on a big winchmount bumper and all that, at least not right away. Is there any way to get a winch to mount with the stock front bumper?

How about having a removable winch mount that plugs into the trailer hitch reciever?

Or, in this kind of a situation, is a come-along more realistic?

I've used come-alongs to winch race cars onto trailers, but don't know if they'd work for a 5000lb truck?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Any way to carry a winch without a new bumper?

Not sure your year but unless you have ajh "engineer" you one you probably won't find one for sale. The stock bumper would probably get warped and crack under that kind of a load.Best to go with an ARB bull bar, but after you install heavy duty OME springs/shocks.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Drifting

You can get a reciever mounted winch plate and put whatever you want back there.

Up front, without creating a mount of some sort, there is no way to put a winch there. Get a $45 come-a-long and you're good to go, should be fine considering what you've described. IMHO

edit: You could fabricate a front reciever with relative ease and in fact you could also fabricate the reciever plate for the winch as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Mudding

Yeah to have a winch you will need the ARB bumper (900 bucks), And OME heavy duty springs (600 bucks)

Old 12-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I am capable of fabricating something, no problem. I have a welder, etc... I really like the idea of the front mount reciever. Is there any structure under there that is easy to bolt to? Has this been done before?

I don't actually have a Disco yet, but I intend to buy a 2004.

Is a come-along usable with a truck, to get started? I wasn't sure if it was too mickeymouse to be worth anything.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:04 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to +1 the come-along. Easy to carry and they're cheap -- provided you don't mind doing the winching.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, get the truck, try and find other Rover owners and go wheeling with them so you can see how well the Disco handles. I wouldn't suggest going wheeling by yourself, with all the years off road I have I have long ago learned it is not wise, with or with out a winch. You need another truck with you incase yo have a trail mishap or a mechanical break down.
As for the winch, there are a couple people who make winch frames to be used with a factory bumper, but they are not very strong and if you do much wheeling you'll find your bumpers will be damaged anyway until you invest in tires and a lift.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Mudding

www.dap-inc.com has an under bumper winch mount. Look for it in the winch section.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LRDISCO

Yeah to have a winch you will need the ARB bumper (900 bucks), And OME heavy duty springs (600 bucks)

Not entirely true. There are other brands of bumpers out there, Equipe, rovertym, etc. And all you'd need to replace are the front springs, maybe shocks, so that would cost you about 180 bucks.

Like Mike said, buy it, wheel it, etc. I think you'll find you want a new bumper to improve the clearance before you need a winch.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Talk to UrbanPanzer. He loves his discrete winch mount.

Quick Reply: Any way to carry a winch without a new bumper?