Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever had air come out of the roof bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:38 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever had air come out of the roof bars?

I've been trying to track down a very small water leak at the top left corner of my windshield. I already resealed the sunroofs, ie. cut out the old dry silicone at the corner drain things and resiliconed them, then sealed the sunroof itself with 3M marine adhesive. I spent a decent amount of time spraying down the sunroofs before I redid my headliner, and everything was dry for about 2 months. But now I've found this tiny leak right at the bottom edge of the headliner. I investigated the windshield sealant, and sure enough, it's very dried and deteriorated right at that corner. There was also a small amount of cracking and separating of the body sealant in the gutters. So I bought some 3M urethane body sealer and carefully resealed the inside of the gutters, covering over the cracking parts while being sure to allow the water a path to drain from the gutters. I also shot a bunch of the sealant down into the void at the corner of the windshield, attempting to follow the illustration in the old bulletin from Land Rover. I then ran a bunch of sealant down the right side of the windshield, since the deterioration looked to be extending down that way.

But to get to my question about bubbles. After running the hose into the gutter this morning to try to locate where the water was coming in, I climbed up onto the sill, to look at the roof, and happened to place my finger over one of the little hex head things at the rear of the left roof bar. There are four connectors there. On my truck, the rear two have little domes covering them, and the front two do not. To my surprise, I could feel and hear air blowing out of one of the uncovered connectors. I didn't run any water up on the roof rack area, front or rear, but the truck did get rained on yesterday. Has anyone else encountered this? The air only blew out for a few seconds, which made me think it might be related to the truck shifting under my weight as I climbed onto the sill. But that makes me think there's water inside the bar...

*Edit* I forgot to mention that I have an '04 with the fat roof bars.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

yup bolts go straight into the interior, you need to make sure all the seals are good

Old 08-05-2021, 03:08 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

+1 The rubber seals deteriorate over time.

I had mine leak in the same place, had a shop fix it but do remember they had to make their own new seal because the part is not available.

I'm sure they did not remove the headline to do the job.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:26 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the RAVE, I don't see any mention of anything like rubber seals. Is this just the black sealant visible on the roof? And what gives with the four little bolts on top of the bar at the rear? Do they leak?

Old 08-05-2021, 10:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@mendenhall2 nope on the 03/04 they have rubber seals,worse if you put a hole in one of those tubular bars it will leak inside via the mounting bolts