Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun roof leak or somewhere else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sun roof leak or somewhere else?

Its been pouring over the last couple weeks and I have noticed the headliner getting wet right along the passenger side bottom edge. In the picture you can see the discoloration from being wet. Is this from the sun roof or could it be from the upper edge of the gutter to windshield juncture? I was under the impression that if it was a stopped up sun roof drain that the leak would be higher up close to the actual sun roof. The only place wet is just along the bottom edge. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Sun roof leak or somewhere else?-headliner1_zps5a6d3e25.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's not good:-( the sun roof drains are a common leak and a fairly easy fix. Its really going to be one of those things where we could all guess but more than likely you will have to remove the head liner and inspect to find out for sure. Usually the sun roof is higher up but water is going to travel to the path of least resistance so it is possible it could be the drains are plugged up.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my headliner out to find my leak. Turned out my drain tray silicone was old and loose causing minor leak. My windshield did not get sealed properly and would leak at speed on the highway pretty badly
One thing to note is that you can poor a glass of water on the backside of the headliner and it will NOT soak through... it will run to the nearest edge. So it could be possible a leaking sunroof and running to another location.
I just posted a few pics in another post of what I noticed with the headliner out...
I can repost them here for you if you like...
There is a way to remove some on your trim and get a peak at whats going on up there.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replys. I have not noticed any leaks at speed, just when it sits. Ill take a look at your photos to get a idea of the layout.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Rock Crawling

a few looks at the sunroof

Attached Thumbnails Sun roof leak or somewhere else?-photo.jpg   Sun roof leak or somewhere else?-photo-3.jpg   Sun roof leak or somewhere else?-photo-1.jpg   Sun roof leak or somewhere else?-photo-2.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta leak, too. It's somewhere on the rear sunroof...any common leaky spots? I'd like a starting point before I go tearing into the flippin' thing...
Thanks for any and all help!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling

In taking mine apart..
1. Drain line plugged up, causing water to back up
2. Plastic drain nipple gets broken or cracked
3. Sealant that bonded the plastic drain tray to the metal sunroof frame has lost its bond and loose. (this was my issue, TEST was to pour a glass of water in the corner of the sunroof frame and see where it goes. NOTE I had the headliner off and could see the water seep through the old sealant...tray was loose.
That being said, the first defense against the water getting in is the seal that sits against the glass. The way I see it is that if that seal was "air tight", no water would even make it to the drain. Drains are there to handle small leaks that get past the seal.
If there was a gap in the front center part of the sunroof water could end up coming in on the sunroof motor.
Check the seal is tight using a mechanics mirror if you cant get your head up there while the glass is down. Or soak the roof with a hose real good, give it a few minutes or even drive it, then open the sunroof to see if any substantial water made it past the seal and the glass. You can adjust the glass to some extent.
Just an idea... before tearing it apart

Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the good info. I tooka quick look at yesterday...found some pine neddles on the weather strip...took them out. It rained like all get out and didn't "seem" to leak anymore...at least there wasn't water dripping off the storage box like before...I'm hoping that's all it is! I'll have a chance to get a better look at it this weekend...if the world doesn't end...in which case it won't matter as much...
Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling

The moral of the story is to first check your seal between your glass and weather stripping...especially if water is "pooring in". Hope that did it.
I gave my weather seals a good cleaning with a rubber restorer... get all the dirt and grime out of there and checked for gaps.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Mudding

A moral well taken! You gotta love it though...there were literally like 3 or 4 pine needles in the gasket area, and not stacked up, piled or even together...go figure...and, oh, yeah, that was all it was!!! Season's Greetings and HAppy New Years to all!!!

Quick Reply: Sun roof leak or somewhere else?