Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone just give up on cracked bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone just give up on cracked bumpers?

I have been shopping for a disco for awhile now and find that almost every one of them have cracked bumpers.

I recently looked at one that didn't work out but the guy removed the cover and painted the actual bumper underneath(on the front) and it looked pretty decent.

Just wondering because the way this search is going I wont find one with good bumpers unless someone has a winch/offroad one.

Anyone done it and have some pictures they would like to share?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Good luck there. I looked at many, many of them and only a handful didnt have a cracked bumper. Oddly, most of them where cracked down the center of the bumper. In the heat of summer the crack is almost invisible, but in the cold you can definitely spot it.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by zski128
Good luck there. I looked at many, many of them and only a handful didnt have a cracked bumper. Oddly, most of them where cracked down the center of the bumper. In the heat of summer the crack is almost invisible, but in the cold you can definitely spot it.
Cracked was a poor choice of words.

Shattered to oblivion fits better for what i've seen.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWesson

What he said. Pickup a disco and then get yourself a ARB bumper or something comparable.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same thing.. searched and seaeched. Finally found the one i bought.. no cracked bumpers. Sure as anything.. somebody backed into the front bumper at work and cracked it 3 weeks after I bought the damn truck. Stupid bumper cover is expensive.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"Good luck there. I looked at many, many of them and only a handful didnt have a cracked bumper. Oddly, most of them where cracked down the center of the bumper. In the heat of summer the crack is almost invisible, but in the cold you can definitely spot it."

I took bumper off completely. Turned it over; rough sanded the inside edges, where crack, better to be called a break, is, both sides. Also, I rough sanded the top side, to give slightly rougher surface for fiberglass to adhere to top/bottom sides. I clamped it together, so it wouldn't move, while fiberglass was curing. I fiberglassed the inside first, building it up about a quarter inch thick, since there was nothing on the interior to prevent extra thick layer of fiberglass, for added strength. NOTE: Stores carry a fiberglass bumper repair kit for autos, that I am sure will work as well as what I used. I used standard fiberglass, with related hardener, mixed according to directions. Once interior was cured, I carefully removed the clamps, and turned the bumper over, ground out a little groove, around the seam of the original break, for laying in more of the same fiberglass. Once cured, I sanded whole bumber, same as done in sanding auto body for painting, and I painted bumber with paint for bumpers. Worked Like a dream; nobody now knows that it ever had any breaks; it hasn't cracked again, since the work, and its been through summer heat, and winter cold. Works for me!
If you check prices on replacement original type bumper, you will see that they cost a fortune; even used ones from wrecking yard are way too expensive. I repaired mine at very little cost, plus labor, but I don't mind doing the work. "Bumpers" on newer cars are just a joke; not intended for hooking anything to them for towing, only intended for providing some crash absorption and for allowing more profits to the auto body shops replacing them---that is a wave of the future to come.

Last edited by earlyrover; 03-08-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWesson

mine resembles that remark....
I too saw one that some one had just removed all the schrapnel and painted the metal bumper "support" ...didnt look all that bad....(.not as bad as with 52 pieces of busted plastic)...I think I'm going to do that untill I win the Terrafirma lottery.....

Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
"Good luck there. I looked at many, many of them and only a handful didnt have a cracked bumper. Oddly, most of them where cracked down the center of the bumper. In the heat of summer the crack is almost invisible, but in the cold you can definitely spot it."

NOTE: Stores carry a fiberglass bumper repair kit for autos, that I am sure will work as well as what I used.
Thanks for posting this - looks like I'll be tackling quite a few items on my list this summer by my lonesome so I'll definitely look for the fiberglass kit. I'm embarrassed to say that I worked on my bumper crack for over 2 hours this past winter and the repair 'job' lasted less than five minutes. I won't tell you what I did...too embarrassing

Old 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
mine resembles that remark....
I too saw one that some one had just removed all the schrapnel and painted the metal bumper "support" ...didnt look all that bad....(.not as bad as with 52 pieces of busted plastic)...I think I'm going to do that untill I win the Terrafirma lottery.....
Seems to be the way to go.. It looked darn near factory.. IMO would only work for the front bumper though.

I have a pic which I will post later of one I looked at that had this setup.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an 02 to get the bumper cover.................

Quick Reply: Anyone just give up on cracked bumpers?