Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone just give up on cracked bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWesson
Seems to be the way to go.. It looked darn near factory.. IMO would only work for the front bumper though.

I have a pic which I will post later of one I looked at that had this setup.
I'm curious to see what it looks like. Please post when you can.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Other than the fiberglass resin (which is available in any good hardware store, standard fiberglass resin and hardener) repair, which I did, successfully, another option, which I almost did, for bumpers cracked or broken in center top area of bumper, is as follows:

Buy a section of aluminum sheet (not sheet metal, but of heavier thickness, say about a full 1/8" thick, or slightly thicker, but not as much as 1/4" thick), cut it to size, so that is is just wide enough to fit over top of middle section of bumper, and long enough to cover over the crack or break, with enough extra room on both sides, extending out about a foot or so on each side of crack/break (for strength, overall), center it, drill it for bolts that will go down through aluminum plate, through plastic bumper, with bolts just long enough for big washer and nut on other side of bolts, to secure the aluminum to plastic bumper, holding it all together as a whole unit. That will provide added strength, where needed, on bumper, look nice overall. Now, when done, paint it all as one unit, aluminum plate, centered, and bumper. This will give plenty of strength in a weak area of bumper, will look good, aluminum strengthener piece is centered, balanced, strong, strengthening plastic where needed.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got any after pictures of your aluminum sheet method earlyrover?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Madlands
Got any after pictures of your aluminum sheet method earlyrover?

No, as I wrote in explanation, I didn't do this, but did the fiberglass repair mentioned earlier. However, I did buy a section of aluminum, shop cut to size, as explained in that alternative repair method, because I originally intended to use the aluminum for repair, until I opted for the fiberglass method. Too, I thought about doing both the fiberglass AND the aluminum together, making for way more strength than necessary, but for a "come hell or high water" repair. I still have aluminum piece, and may use it for something else, unless someone backs into me and breaks the fiberglass---unlikely, as I now have a nice brush guard I installed on front end too.