Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashcroft ATBs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ashcroft ATBs

Just ordered ATBs front and rear for my 2003 Discovery 2. About a year ago, I added the CDL in preparation for purchasing locking differentials. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm building an Overlander and am not concerned about rock crawling, etc. Just want to get where I'm going even in harsh terrain. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

they should work perfectly for your application. Only concern I'd have is if you do a lot of snow driving but based on your location (TX) I wouldn't worry about it. These with the CDL will handle just about anything within the normal confines of "overlanding" or most view as overlanding. I personally am a fan of the selectable lockers but realize the cost is significantly higher but the ability to control when things are locked is nice (ie the front usually won't need to be locked) and the way i see it if smart about using the selectable options you will have less wear and tear on the drivetrain. The ATBs require wheel spin to "lock" up where as an air or electric locker once engaged is fully locked.

Edit: for overlanding I would feel comfortable with just the CDL and working traction control...I took my D2 all over CO and Moab with just that and had no issues unless I went looking for them.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are likely correct. I've had the Discovery for 12 years and have consistently been amazed at what it can do. Having said that, I've always wanted locking differentials and have been in a few situations where they might have really helped. Plus, it is just fun to build these vehicles.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Are you planning on re-gearing while you are into the third members? I think upgrading the R&P to a stronger gear set even if not worried about changing the ratios is worth the time if going to limited slips or lockers.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@whowa004 Gear sets are pretty limited for us, Ashcroft has some. But like you I have found the traction control and CDL works really well. If I had a TD5 diesel I would spring for locker, but the cost really hurts 900.00 cdn plus another 250 for a compressor kit. With the V8 I save my money for engine maintenance.

As to the ATB I have read the helical gears are better than the old clutch pack system

Old 09-16-2020, 11:14 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004

Edit: for overlanding I would feel comfortable with just the CDL and working traction control...I took my D2 all over CO and Moab with just that and had no issues unless I went looking for them.
This is me. I have an 03 D2 and Ashcroft CDL in it. Mostly overlanding and on the more mellow side trails. I do a lot of winter driving on snow and ice as the D2 is our family ski trip mobile.

I keep eyeing the ATB diffs and might do a center ATB diff at some point along with 1.3 or 1.4 gearing if I go with taller tires and additional lift on the D2.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:31 AM
Pro Wrench

With a lot of snow driving spring the extra for an air or electric locker set up. The LSD or ATB or Detroit set ups can get a little squirrely in slick weather on corners. I think it's less work involved to re-gear at the diff vs the T-case (also the T-case isn't a weak point and the stock R&P are).

Richard, GBR and Ashcroft both make heavier duty R&P sets with a variety of ratios available. I hear you on the cost of the air lockers and set up but man having one in the rear has really been a game changer for me at times.

The combo of a Detroit rear and an ATB/LSD front is a potent combo for traction but again both of those styles of "lockers" (neither are true lockers) require wheel spin to engage. To me you are increasing your chances of shock loading the drivetrain and if on stock diffs this could lead to more failures vs a selectable locker. Just my .02 the ability to limit wheel spin and increase traction is worth the extra money for a true locker.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (09-16-2020)