Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atf flush?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Atf flush?

I was told 50 yrs ago by my father to add a quart of atf and let the engine idle for 10mins. and change the oil.

"will keep the sludge down and it'll last forever."

(I was a kid)

That always stuck with me.

I believed that last year when I tried the atf flush that everyone seems to rave (no pun) about on alot of forums.

A year and two flushes later, after hearing some new "rattling" from my motor, I pulled my oil pan and scraped out about 3/8" of sludge.

Today, I'm reading the "auto rx" thread and stating my opinion(s) and read:

"ATF actually has less detergents than motor oil"

I decided to undertake a journey on the net to dispell that hearsay.
(cuz, I just can't believe it)

Well, I apologize for my skepticism, and give props to -- Lipadj46 -- for KNOWING WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.

I recently have cautioned(based on my DI experiance) against doing the full ATF flush.

If you are thinking about it, read what the oil people say, not what's on other forums, cuz we're all lemmings.

just my opinion

luck,greg

Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go over to Bobistheoilguy.com for all the oil info you never wanted to know. I'm not one of those total anti oil additive guys. I fiddle around sometimes with ZDDP or MoS2 also my engine was pretty filthy when I did my head gaskets (varnish mostly) and I did a couple flushes (berrymans chemtool) and used MMO to clean things up and they did help noticeably (had to drop the oil pan a few months later). For a healthy engine though there really nothing better than a modern engine oil.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Go over to Bobistheoilguy.com for all the oil info you never wanted to know. I'm not one of those total anti oil additive guys. I fiddle around sometimes with ZDDP or MoS2 also my engine was pretty filthy when I did my head gaskets (varnish mostly) and I did a couple flushes (berrymans chemtool) and used MMO to clean things up and they did help noticeably (had to drop the oil pan a few months later). For a healthy engine though there really nothing better than a modern engine oil.

Some how I had the feeling you'd see this -- LOL

Bob was one of four or five sites I read.

As I said in the piece, I don't condemn people for flushing, I was however stuck in the old school mentality when there may have been more detergents than dispersants in ATF, and then, everything was iron.

I'm glad you threw your 2c in.

I still use cdr, which is a detergent in the engine, since the rockers were covered with that black cakey dried sludge, the pan was mud, tho'

luck,greg

Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up other stuff

Originally Posted by greg409
Some how I had the feeling you'd see this -- LOL

Bob was one of four or five sites I read.

As I said in the piece, I don't condemn people for flushing, I was however stuck in the old school mentality when there may have been more detergents than dispersants in ATF, and then, everything was iron.

I'm glad you threw your 2c in.

I still use cdr, which is a detergent in the engine, since the rockers were covered with that black cakey dried sludge, the pan was mud, tho'

luck,greg

hey Greg, injoying this thread as going threw bob's forums i found two other products...

http://www.nanovit.co.uk/index.html

http://www.rvs-tec.com/English/index.htm

I dont necessarly believe in snake oils but nano technoligy is becoming pretty prevelent these days. I know about them as i am involved in firearms and there is a slew of new oilless upper recievers that are pretty amazing. I mean we send people to space but we can keep a engine runnng 3 times the norm.... I hardley believe that . You would have to admit auto manufactures would loose billions if there products actually lasted longer.

Chris