Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Completed Plug Wire Change...tips...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Completed Plug Wire Change...tips...

Hey gang...

I just completed my plug/wire change this am. I did TB and induction clean before I started, and I was gigling like a school kid riding around the neighborhood driving that smoke bomb! It ran and idled VERY WELL after the cleaning, but I need the wires after getting misfire codes.

At any rate, there is a good write-up here in the forums on how to complete this. I'll insert a few thoughts on the process...

First, if you're cursed with big hands...it's going to suck for you. It's EXTREMELY tight. The upside is that I'm tall and I can reach...a trade off I guess.

There is one thing that I found that helped immensly; I used a camping pad layed across the radiator/intake manifold. I used that to lay on and get a good angle from the top down. Things went MUCH faster after I did this.

The original wires were pretty brittle and at least two boots were split. Instead of Magnacore, I went with Kingsborne based on some reviews and recommendations. The price is way right, and quality is absolutely high, and the lengths are perfect. Not too long, nor short. They will snap on to the wire seperators, but are a little tight as expected. I went with yellow. Because yellow wires offer less resistance .

For plugs, I went with Bosch +4 Iridiums. Expensive, yes. But that's what they had...

Truck idles unbelievably well!! No hesitation or stumbling. I did have a little of this before...and I'm not sure if my intake and TB cleaning fixed this. That being said, the wires WERE brittle...and boots split. They needed to be changed, for sure!

Dive on in on this project. You WILL cuss a little, but it's straight forward. Take your time, and you'll be fine.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the pad to lay across the engine. I have big hands with fat arms and found it pretty challenging, but getting right up there made a world of difference.