Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attached Battery Backwards, Sparks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Hilarious! I did it on an Alfa Romeo 164 and took out the brake lights. Never could figure out what went wrong. Sold it before fixing the issue.

I still have 2 Alfas, a spider and a GTV!

I knew I liked you Abran! I had a 164s for awhile, a couple of Milanos and a GTV6. Moved on, but still check CL for them...

Old 12-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2Rover
I knew I liked you Abran! I had a 164s for awhile, a couple of Milanos and a GTV6. Moved on, but still check CL for them...
ALFA= Always Looking For Another

The following users liked this post:
Andy2Rover (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Codes are:
P0705: (reference: Engine anti-theft signal circuit high Serial link open circuit)
P1668: (reference: (14, 23) * Gear position switch, incorrect outputs Maintains current gear in low range, limp home mode in high range. Shift pressure to maximum, harsh gear shifts/engagement. On On)

When I turn the key to just before ignition, M&S light blink continuously as well as a B with a line through where normally it would show the Gear status, like D for drive, R for reverse: So all the possibilities showing up at once flashing, and the stick won't allow me to shift into anything. Haven't and won't try turning over until I fix this. It's inconveniently parked at a friend's apartment complex though, and has been for a week... Oops.

Headlights come on.
All windows don't work, including two sunroofs.
Radio won't come on.
Air comes on and blows.
Interior lights come on.
Windshield wipers come on but when I turn them on, the truck gets mad at me, it seems, by inexplicably turning on the interior light, dinging the "lights still on with key out" ding, and showing me the green trailer light and red seatbelt light.

Thoughts?

Last edited by za105; 12-23-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

start it up and check the charging system, I will guess you have a few toasted fuses possibly a fusible link or two are blown.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Merry Christmas fellow Roverers!

Tried starting it today but no go. No solenoid click or hint of trying to turn over, and I think that's the P1668 code locking me out of trying.

How do I check the charging system?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Also, do you think the Alternator fuse being blown could be part of it, and where is it located? I can't find it mentioned in the service manual.

The entire alternator may need replaced; the thin trail of smoke was coming from somewhere in that direction when hell broke loose, but in the couple moments of panic I didn't look exactly at where it was coming from, I just disconnected the cables. The reason for replacing the battery was that it was dying on us. Could be the alternator was causing this. Maybe that would help my codes? Or helpful, but not for fixing the codes?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Looking at things simply the alternator shouldn't stop it starting. If you had a fully charged battery. Alternator circuit just charges things back up. Unless there are LR specific things I'm missing.

What are the symptoms on it not starting? Could be that the computer is not allowing the fuel pump to operate etc. what's it doing, sounding like?

Try hitting the inertia switch. In case that gets triggered with your situation.

I would buckle in for the long haul. If it's stuck somewhere unfortunate, can you tow it to a more helpful place?

Last edited by cappedup; 12-24-2015 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
za105 (12-26-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Makes sense about the alternator.

Nothing happens when I turn the key to start, lights go off and nothing. Release and back to those flashing lights.

Will check inertia switch next time I'm at the car.

How do I tow it in park? I've been trying to figure that out. Gotta get it home to work on it.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

shift transfer case to neutral or drop the drive shafts.

Check and see if you are getting power to the starter when you hit the key. I'm guessing your not and one of the 100 fuses is blown.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by za105
Makes sense about the alternator.

Nothing happens when I turn the key to start, lights go off and nothing. Release and back to those flashing lights.

Will check inertia switch next time I'm at the car.

How do I tow it in park? I've been trying to figure that out. Gotta get it home to work on it.
Sounds like the inertia switch is a red herring.

Defo put 12v straight to the starter if you can. Prove to yourself something sensible is happening.

Do you have a multimeter with a beep function? Each fuse I think has a little gap you can stick your probes. The little ones inside. Quickly check which ones are still good. Couple of fuse boards to find.

Sounds like a nightmare. But I would want to start narrowing down the obvious. Until someone says a BCU is broken. Then I would scream with a lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply: Attached Battery Backwards, Sparks