Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attached Battery Backwards, Sparks

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Abran, I didn't even notice that! I was in such a hurry I read someone mention those tools as usable on their LR Disco and didn't even check the size. Glad I cancelled it. I'll try autozone's loaner tools tonight with blow hammer trick, I was trying with channel locks, the only tool I had that would fit.

Best4x4, do I need to change out the fan blade? I was just going to replace it after putting in a new alternator and belt. What's the benefit of the 99-02 clutch?

Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Well the benefit is it's replaceable vs the 03-04 units which are one piece and cost around 300-400 for a new fan clutch since it's a one piece unit with the fan blade attached to it. 99-02 models had a separate fan blade/fan clutch so you can change it out cheaper by just replacing the fan clutch, and you can install a Severe Duty Unit to get a bit better cooling during the summer months.

99-02 Fan Blades are around 50.00 on Ebay.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Well the benefit is it's replaceable vs the 03-04 units which are one piece and cost around 300-400 for a new fan clutch since it's a one piece unit with the fan blade attached to it. 99-02 models had a separate fan blade/fan clutch so you can change it out cheaper by just replacing the fan clutch, and you can install a Severe Duty Unit to get a bit better cooling during the summer months.

99-02 Fan Blades are around 50.00 on Ebay.
I usually change out my 03/04 fans so that I can buy a seperate fan clutch, but recently a LR tech told me that the 03/04 fan blade design moves more air. I have saved a few 03/04 setups that still had life so I might start running them again.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by za105
Abran, I didn't even notice that! I was in such a hurry I read someone mention those tools as usable on their LR Disco and didn't even check the size. Glad I cancelled it. I'll try autozone's loaner tools tonight with blow hammer trick, I was trying with channel locks, the only tool I had that would fit.

Best4x4, do I need to change out the fan blade? I was just going to replace it after putting in a new alternator and belt. What's the benefit of the 99-02 clutch?
I was just at my dads in NM and had to take off his fan. Blow hammer did not work. I finally used the rag in the pulley trick and it worked(after some attempts). The other members trick to use a plate to connect the PS pulley to WP pulley looks pretty slick. In the end you might want to just buy a set up. The craftsman one is like $30. I use mine constantly, but I'm always working on rovers. You can never have enough tools.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by abran
I usually change out my 03/04 fans so that I can buy a seperate fan clutch, but recently a LR tech told me that the 03/04 fan blade design moves more air. I have saved a few 03/04 setups that still had life so I might start running them again.
From all I read the 03-04 fan doesn't move as much air. It doesn't have the round rim around it which helps to form a better suction and pull more air thru the radiator.

300-400 for an 03-04 setup is nuts! I also like the 99-02 setup for being available locally vs special order only so in the event it dies out on the road or trail it can be replaced easily and quickly.

When you do the slow blow hammer and the 36mm on the pully the trick is of coarse to hit the wrench but at the same time to hit it slightly to the left so it goes counter clockwise. The slow blow hammer helps deliever a better hit that transfers the "bang" directly to the fan clutch nut. It may take up to 5 good hits but it should break free unless it's severely rusted into place.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Best4x4, can I not remove the fan clutch, replace the alternator and belt, and put the old fan clutch back on?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by za105
Best4x4, can I not remove the fan clutch, replace the alternator and belt, and put the old fan clutch back on?
To remove the alternator you don't need to remove the fan clutch/cooling fan. Alternator is held on with 2 bolts.

Loosen fan belt with a 15mm wrench on the belt tensioner, pop belt off. Disconnect battery, loosen and remove the two 13mm bolts holding the alternator into place, remove the two wire leads off the back of the alternator, then using a small pry bar or good sized screw driver pry the alternator up and out. It'll be a tight squeeze by the coolant hose but it will make it.

The following users liked this post:
za105 (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Old Clutch Good

can I not remove the fan clutch, replace the alternator and belt, and put the old fan clutch back on?
Yes, your fan/clutch can be reinstalled.

Others were just giving their pro/con inputs of going to a two piece assembly if/when you decide/have to replace the fan clutch. New aftermarket 02 fan and easy to find Hayden clutch together can be purchased for about $125 versus high dollar 03/04 assembly. After that clutch only if need is easily sourced locally.

Usually you can remove a fan clutch with a large enough adjustable wrench and a few hammer whacks with belt still installed, additional tension to belt is sometimes required. Reinstall using several whacks. 1 7/16 open/combo wrench and dead-blow hammer has worked well for me and didn't require purchase/wait for "special" tools.

Removing clutch may not be necessary but does provide better access and makes reinstalling the belt a breeze. For those with easily removable fan/rad shrouds it should be SOP. My shrouds and clutch are removed often to access front areas of engine and compartment.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Man I'm learning all sorts of good info. Thanks guys, and thanks Best4x4 for the write-up on alternator removal.

I thought I had to remove the fan to get the belt off, just because I was following that video on Atlantic British for a belt replacement. I'll probably go ahead and keep the old assembly for now, with a number of vehicle costs popping up right now, but good to know about the 99-02 vs 03-04.

So tonight I'll borrow those tools from AutoZone to see about getting my fan clutch removed, and if still no go, I'll try and work around it.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling

The Disco is back in business! Swapped out the alternator last night, and the battery light is no longer on! I was able to do it leaving the viscous fan in and working around it, and I borrowed a long-handled tensioner pulley tool from Auto Zone to get that belt free. I also replaced the serpentine belt while I was at it, as I had gotten tons of coolant on the last one from a coolant flush and it had gotten squeaky. Squeak is gone too.

You guys are fantastic, thanks for all the help! I've got a couple other questions but I'll create a new thread for them.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (07-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Attached Battery Backwards, Sparks