Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Install ... Snap, Crackle And Pop

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Install ... Snap, Crackle And Pop

So, I installed a new head unit in my 2000 LR Disco II w/ HK audio... I bought the proper Metra Kit and everything went smoothe, execpt for a slight hum, a little snapping and alternator\ignition whine...

A little background. I removed my factory head unit, because the changer was gone, then the tape went kaput, and i noticed the subd dont change volume, always a muffled low volume rumble... So i trashed the changer, upgraded the headunit to a new kenwood Exelon Head Unit, install went very smoother with the metra harness and the sound is great, however regardless of the volume (even 0 volume, and even with the RCAs unplugged) i hear a constant buzzing\snapping sound, and when i turn on the ignition i also get alternator\ignoition whine... Now these were not present in the factory Head unit UNLESS i were to unplug the equivlent of the RCA (low line) connections, So i am thinking either the amp is bad, but was somehow able to sound ok with the stocker HU, OR the HU provides a different ground VIA RCA connections...

Has anyone heard of these issues? Does any one have a factory HK amp they would be willing to sell or let me borrow to test...

Let me know, the system is in passible shape, if i give it any volume it drowns out the noises... also if someone has spare stock HK speakers, i need a pair of front mids, rear tweets and front a-pillar tweets... Previous owner was a bit harsh on my poor truck...

Thanks in advance,
Eric Wolf

Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Might sound like an obvious question, but where did you ground the ground wire, and did you tap the ground on the Metra adapter and ground that to a metal part connected to the chassis? If not, cut a little rubber insulation off a part of the ground wire, take another 18 guage wire and twist it with the exposed wire, and solder it up (or buy a wire tap) and I think that is your problem. I may be wrong, but that should be done anyway. Best of luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

electrics is not my speciality.. you need to speak to roverchris on the forum he will know for sure.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Overlanding

Yea, something i always do, is crimp 2 ground wires, one to the factory and the other to a wire i usually tie to the metal support of the dash or firewall bolt...

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Drifting

I work at a stereo shop. This is a common problem and we have tried many differant adapters and they all have the whin. We have added grounds to the rca outshields and anywhere else you could imagine. We will no longer do the install without the customer buying an aftermarket amp or bypassing the HK amp which does not sound as well. I have a 2000 disco with the HK myself. I had to replace it with a sony 5 channel amp.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM
6th Gear
Thumbs up

Try this guy...

I hear he does great work and is very helpful via the phone for troubleshooting. He specializes in all things having to do with Land Rover radios...Plus he can install a face mounted iPod / MP3 Auxiliary jack in your OEM head unit for $130 bucks....

http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by cellman01
I work at a stereo shop. This is a common problem and we have tried many differant adapters and they all have the whin. We have added grounds to the rca outshields and anywhere else you could imagine. We will no longer do the install without the customer buying an aftermarket amp or bypassing the HK amp which does not sound as well. I have a 2000 disco with the HK myself. I had to replace it with a sony 5 channel amp.

Actually i picked up a pair of Ground Loop Isolators... WORKS... WOO HOO !!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cellman01
I am curious as to why a stereo shop would refuse to do these installs due to alternator whine? alternator whine has to do with the grounding in the vehicle not the equipment being used and resolving the issue is why people go to professional shops, because as an installer you should know what ground loops are or what ground potential is and how to fix that, and especially know that the number one rule when it comes to "noise" in an audio system, is that filters and GLI's (or band aids as we call them) are temporary solutions that don't last. I would never suggest to anyone replacing a working amplifier because of noise, just fix the problem and explain to the customer that if extensive work is required to resolve it there may be additional labor charges.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
4wd Low

So what is the correct way to do it then?

I was planning on replacing the headunit as well since i'm missing my cd changer too.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

with the D2's I would use the Metra harness 70-1786. then if you end up with problems like noise either take it to a professional or troubleshoot it yourself (feel free to ask for help if you need it)