Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux driving lights wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux driving lights wiring

I installed a pair of front auxiliary lights. I bought an extra fog light switch and swapped the cap onto an extra cruise control switch which is ON/OFF rather than momentary.

While scouting out routes for the wiring I noticed these two unused connectors by the left and right headlights. I think these are for the headlamp leveling motors which I don't think U.S. vehicles have, at least mine doesn't. So I'm thinking maybe I can just tap into these somehow and not have to run any wires into the cabin at all. Of course I may be wrong but what else could they be?

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this or if anyone has any idea where the other end of these unused circuits might be located at? It would be really nice if I could make this work.

Left side:

Right side:

EDIT: Digging a bit deeper I don't think these are what I thought they were. They have nine black wires and a shorting terminator. So the question is: what the heck are these things? Still hoping I can use them in some way.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

I've always wondered if there is some good reason I'm not thinking of to run a relay kicked on by the factory fog light switch...

Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found out that what I'm looking at are grounding junctions or what they call "headers" in the manual. So they are of no use to me in this quest.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a 32 inch led combination spot / flood light bar across the top of my front bumper and a pair of 4 inch super hi intensity Cree projector spot lamps on the outer corners of my roof rack. On my 2002 d2.
I'm not a fan of roof mounted lights for road use as they usually show everything on the windshield. In my opinion roof mount lights are for offroad only.
I have done similar with switching.
The front bumper light bar is powered battery direct through a separate standard Bosch relays it's the control circuit controlled by the original front fog light wiring and switch.
The roof lights are again direct battery powered using a standard Bosch relay. I used a 3rd switch that I added in one of the blank holes.
The relay is controlled by the added switch and the lights are powered battery direct through the working side of the relay.
This is similar as to how any aftermarket light set is recommended to be wired but without any aftermarket looking switches.
So I have 3 working switched left of the steering wheel
Front driving
Front offroad
Rear fog
Works great, no cutting, splicing or tapping in to original harnesses , looks like it came that way from new.
Happy happy happy,