Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The AWD / Full Time 4WD Debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The AWD / Full Time 4WD Debate

Ah, brother in laws.

Well we're at it again. My brother in law, while suitably impressed with my recent purchase of my 03 D2, is already bragging up the off roadability of his 1998 AWD Ford Explorer. Of course instead of smiling sweetly and patting him dismissively on the head, I had to get into the debate. He's generally not a jerk about it, but we often go round and round a lot about auto stuff.

He's got a 5.0 Explorer with an automatic AWD system that also has Hi/Lo 4wd.

Claim #1:
That his automatic AWD system is the same as my Rover's full time 4WD. I know this isn't true with typical auto AWD systems b/c they are essentially two wheel drive until severe slippage happens at which point the other axle is given power.

BUT, his AWD has a Borg-Warner transfer case that delivers 35% to the front axle and 65% to the back at all times and varies the ratio as conditions dictate. I know my non-CDL TC permits both shafts to turn at different speeds, again based on slippage, etc (right?). Does he have me? It sounds like they're pretty similar.

Claim #2:
In addition to auto AWD he has Hi/Low, which he says is identical to CDL in that both the front and back axles turn at the same speed delivering equal power to the front and back axles. True? If so, what the heck's so great about CDL if a stinkin' 98 Ford Explorer has it?

He concedes that Rovers are good off roaders, but attributes it to suspension, clearance and torque rather than the TC. Which is basically like saying Rolex's are good but they're only different from a Timex because of a little gold trim and the first three letters of the manufacturer's name.

He's got me on the ropes! Need some ammo if there's any to be had here!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

his exploder is IFS and that's exactly what it'll do, explode, if he trys to do any moderate to serious off-roading on rock.

unless Borg-Warner has changed then his transfer case is chain drive, they stretch over time and need replaced. Your transfer case is gear to gear.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I couldn't have said it better. After you learn how to drive your 03, take him for a"Short", don't want to have to tow him too far if it does explode.
There is not a stock Ford that can come close to equaling a Rover.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
take him for a"Short", don't want to have to tow him too far if it does explode.
There is not a stock Ford that can come close to equaling a Rover.
HAHA! And take some good videos of for evidence so you can rub it in his face for years to come

Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell him he's right, but that means he admits that a rover is better, I don't know how strong a ford soccer mom's axles or transfer case are but leaf springs can't touch a coil sprung 4 link.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Mudding

Ah, ok that makes me feel better.

What about the AWD vs FT 4WD? Do our TC's essentially act like an automatic AWD?

And the CDL? Is it true that typical 4wd vehicles lock both shafts together?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tweakrover
tell him he's right, but that means he admits that a rover is better, I don't know how strong a ford soccer mom's axles or transfer case are but leaf springs can't touch a coil sprung 4 link.
Ah yes, I think he realizes he's beat there. Yeah, the 4 spring independent suspension allows for full articulation over rough ground and those purely gymnastic profile pics.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The answer is in the dirt to paraphrase Ben Hogan ( His favorite answer when asked the secret of hitting a golf ball). Put a friendly wager on it and go play follow the leader. Invite him to lead the way at first then challenge him to stay with you as you lead.

Have an independent third party hold the money and the video camera. Post it on UTube for all the world to enjoy.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rover is the only one that uses a CDL because all transfer cases already split power evenly. That explorer has a rear 8.8" axle that Ford used in F-150s up to 1996. They are known in the Jeep world for being able to be locked on 39's on the stock 31 spline shafts. His Borg Warner is a stout unit but it does have IFS. I wouldn't discount his running gear just because IFS. Remember, most desert runners and Hummer H1s all run IFS

Last edited by groundassault; 09-23-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your t-case send equal power front and rear until you turn a corner or spin a tire, then because of physics it then sends power to the prop shaft of least resistance.
That is what the CDL is for, to prevent that from happening, lock both prop shafts together and they both get equal power no matter what.
Your traction control uses the ABS system to stop a spinning wheel, by stopping that wheel you send the power to the other wheel on that axle, since it is not spinning it must have traction.
Ask him what kind of fluid his transfer case uses, AWD cars use a light fluid in the t-case, such as automatic transmission fluid.
Your t-case sues gear lube, just like a differential, just like the t-case on a cement truck or off road dump truck or any other heavy duty machine that is built for abuse and designed to last forever.
His lo range is for pulling the boat up a steep wet boat launch, not climbing a mountain like yours is.

Quick Reply: The AWD / Full Time 4WD Debate