Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The AWD / Full Time 4WD Debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When sensors detect that wheel slip is occurring or even just likely to occur, the All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system can react within as little as 50 milliseconds to distribute up to 100 percent of the available torque to the rear wheels
Controller may detect a difference in wheel speed front-to-rear even in good weather, such as when driving through sand, mud or wet leaves
How the System Works
All-Wheel Drive uses electromagnetic activation of an internal clutch pack
Engages when sensors detect wheel slip in the front wheels, and often acts preemptively to prevent slip from happening in the first place
When activated, the system uses force from an electromagnet to push clutch plates together
Drive shaft torque is transmitted through the unit to the rear wheels, taking power from the front wheel sand sending it to the rear

I cut and pasted this from fords web page, basically a rover transfer case is a differential with a manual lock in it just like a axle diff, the ford system is a glorified transmission with electronically controlled clutches that transfer power where wheels aren't slipping. with that being said I'm sure when the 4wd is switched on it locks the whole unit, making is eqivalent to ours. but ours is solid gears no clutches wearing and electronics screwing up(in the diff anyway).

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrong post

Last edited by groundassault; 09-23-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Pro Wrench

In reality the rover does not have a transfer case it has a center diff, the "transfer case" is just used to house the diff and the diff locking mechanism. just look at the rover as having 3 axles.

Last edited by tweakrover; 09-23-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
In reality the rover does not have a transfer case it has a center diff, the "transfer case" is just used to house the diff and the diff locking mechanism. just look at the rover as having 3 axles.
Only problem is the OP (ShortTom) has an '03 so he doesn't have CDL, Rover is still far superior.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Don't know what happened to yours, but all of my Land Rovers have transfer boxes.
All of mine have the hi-low gearing in them, front output safts, either a center diff or 4WD selector and PTO opening.

Last edited by antichrist; 09-24-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Winching

His rear end is stronger. That 8.8 is a great axle. I came from the jeep world and it's by far one of the most popular mods (about the only thing worth stripping from the older Ford Explorers),

But that's all he has on your Rover.

Do this, let him drive your Rover. Then tell him to decide. lol

________
Cumshot ***

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your t-case send equal power front and rear until you turn a corner or spin a tire, then because of physics it then sends power to the prop shaft of least resistance.
Phil, thanks for the reply, one question: Does this mean our TC has a limited slip mechanism inside that regulates the prop shafts? I would assume that the axle slippage is almost continuously variable due to turns, etc? Not meaning to get all nit picky on you, just curious.

Ask him what kind of fluid his transfer case uses, AWD cars use a light fluid in the t-case, such as automatic transmission fluid.
Your t-case sues gear lube, just like a differential, just like the t-case on a cement truck or off road dump truck or any other heavy duty machine that is built for abuse and designed to last forever.
Yep AFAIK, tranny fluid in his TC, not gear oil.

His lo range is for pulling the boat up a steep wet boat launch, not climbing a mountain like yours is.
Priceless...yes indeed. I think I'll take him up on a bit off road adventure
as some have suggested and bring a tow strap...

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
His rear end is stronger. That 8.8 is a great axle. I came from the jeep world and it's by far one of the most popular mods (about the only thing worth stripping from the older Ford Explorers),

But that's all he has on your Rover.

Do this, let him drive your Rover. Then tell him to decide. lol
What's great about it? Not meaning to turn this into a Ford discussion, just gimme the two second explanation. Or is it geared higher? Or just stronger? I guess it's becoming more apparent I'm not a super off roader.

Yeah and he's not being a total tail about it. He actually said he really wants an LR3 (which is despise btw).

Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Winching

the 8.8 is stronger and can handle a larger wheel/tire under stress. Most the jeeps come with a Dana 35 on the rear, or as we called them "turdy 5" because they are known for exploding on rocks etc. And most peeps build the jeeps for rock crawling (with at least a 35 inch wheel/tire combo).

The Disco II axles are somewhere between a Dana 35 and 44 strength wise, not as strong as a 8.8.

If your not rock crawling with 35" tires it does not matter. But the 2 vehicles side by side, the rear end is better on the Ford I think for future mods. But that's all I see.

All depends on what your building the rig for I guess.

Ford put few sets of stock gears in the Explorer 8.8s (3.73 and 4.10 come to mind I cannot remember). Most the jeep guys are surfing the junk yards and CL for an axle with the higher set, the 4.10. Tell your buddy to look at the sticker on his driver inside door to see the gearing, or he can look for a metal tag on the rear differential casing. If he has 4.10 on both then he might give you a better run than you think. v8 5.0 with 4.10 gearing is a damn good stock rig.

Some guys will re gear third party though for even a higher gearing after they find an axle depending on what they want to do to the front axle and what they want to crawl. Regearing is $ though. You have to do both axles the same. It makes a world of difference though depending on your engine and tire/wheel set up.

I had a 4 banger (2.5L) jeep yj. 33" tires with stock gearing at 4.10. The thing was a beast off road but it was horrible on the interstate. 60-65 MPH tops and 5th gear was useless....lol now if I had regeared to 4.55 or better I would get 75 MPH and would of had my 5th gear again. But I did not want to spend the money and regear the stock axles (dana 35 rear, dana 30 front). That would of been money wasted because the axles that held my investment would have been crappy. My father in law was tboned in a 96 Ford Explorer and had a good 8.8 sitting in his driveway for 2 weeks, I actually thought about doing the 8.8 swap on the yj (another bonus is you get disc brakes with this axle) but I wimped out because it was summer and 100 degrees outside....lol
________
Gay **** Trai

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
TReK

I consider the 8.8 shafts to be the same strength as our axle shafts...our spider gears might be weaker though. The 8.8 does well under a Jeep because they only weigh 3,300 #s

Quick Reply: The AWD / Full Time 4WD Debate